• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's your best TOTP memory ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your best TOTP memory ?

All this Top of the Pops nostalgia is bringing back some great memories. Thursday nights ... Tomorrow's World ... the chart rundown ... the expectation ... the dry ice... Jimmy Saville... Tony Blackburn...

Here's my top three TOTP memories

Wuthering Heights / Kate Bush - such a different sound and performance from anything that had gone before. I bought the single the next day

Status Quo (I think Rockin all over the World) with the cardboard cutout of Francis Rossi

Pan's people / Legs and Co. etc - teenage adolescence concentrated into a three minute burst

Are those innocent times.

when Feargal Sharkey fell over and the singing continued

Milan.

Comment

Zeity, did you enjoy them with some fava beans and a nice chianti?

For me, Hot Gossip performing "Starship Trooper". Phew!!

Comment

Dexy's Midnight Runners singing "Jackie Wilson Said", with a giant image of Jocky Wilson behind them.

TOTP's success was that it is based on the R1 charts, but since they have lost all credibility, TOTP is meaningless and has to go.

Speaking of which, what was that sh1te at number one a couple of weeks ago - "I want to be a punk rocker ... etc"? A suitable load of crap to end on, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy with the bowtie

Status Quo (I think Rockin all over the World) with the cardboard cutout of Francis Rossi
          A bit picky I know but it was actually a cardboard cut out of Alan Lancaster the bass player.

From http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/music/statusquo.htm

The bass player moved to Australia in 1983 - a cardboard cut-out substituted on several television appearances - but he remained a member for the next two years, during which time the band announced they would be quitting live work.

They re-formed to play the opening slot at Live Aid in 1985 - Lancaster's final appearance with the band, following which he (unsuccessfully) took out a High Court injunction to prevent Status Quo performing without him.

I'll stop now as I'm scaring myself.

Sorry 'bout that
          Last edited by Clownio; 21 June 2006, 08:05.
          I don't know my arse from an hole in the ground

Comment

Thw Who on TOTP

Keith Moon wearing an "It's Not Live" Tee-shirt and kicking the drums over while the drumbeat is still playing - funny.
            Why not?

Comment

Absolutely - though I think that it was taken while I was doing a big poo.

But to be serious for a moment, I think my best TOTP memory was all those "up-skirt" shots.

Don't suppose anybody has got any pictures ???

....so that I can do a bit of rigorous reminiscing.
              I don't know my arse from an hole in the ground

Comment

Nena - 99 Red Balloons

I loved her right up to the point when she raised her arms and showed off the jungle in her armpits.

Comment

Originally posted by Clownio
                  But to be serious for a moment, I think my best TOTP memory was all those "up-skirt" shots.

I am right with you Clownio. I recall a group of girls called Fuzzbox (who remembers them?) who came on TOTP with unfeasibly short skirts. Hmmmm... happy memories...
                  Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

That's "We've got a fuzzbox and we're gonna use it" to you.

Comment

Working...
                    X