• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bigot of the Year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bigot of the Year

A row has broken out after the leader of the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland was named Bigot of the Year by gay rights charity Stonewall.
    BBC News - Storm over Stonewall's Cardinal Keith O'Brien 'bigot' award

Sounds about right to me, the esteemed Cardinal has likened same-sex marriage to pedophilia, has refered to same-sex marriage as being a grotesque subversion of a universally accepted human right and has claimed that same-sex partnerships were harmful to the physical, mental and spiritual well-being of those involved. He's claimed that if Scotland introduced same-sex marriage that their intolerance will shame Scotland in the eyes of the world.

The Catholic Church in Scotland has issued a statement stating

Stonewall wants to shut down anyone who doesn't agree with them in the public discourse.
    Hah, this from an organisation that makes veiled threats referencing influencing voting habits, breaks off communication with the SNP hierarchy because they're not 'being listened to' and to top it all, they tried to rig the consultation by sending in pre-printed postcards stating their opposition to the proposals.

Scotland is ready for gay marriage, whether Cardinal O'Brien likes it or not | Jane Carnall | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

The sooner this fairy tale organisation disappears into the annals of history the better. Roll on the r-evolution.
    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

What on earth has football got to do with religion?

"I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

Comment

Believe it or not, same-sex marriages (and where the parties were known to be the same sex) weren't uncommon in medievil Europe. I have an ebook on it somewhere if anyone is interested.

I don't have a problem with them although, for possibly irrational reasons, I'd prefer it if they avoided the word "marriage" and stuck with "partnership".
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          I don't have a problem with them although, for possibly irrational reasons, I'd prefer it if they avoided the word "marriage" and stuck with "partnership".
          I personally believe they can do whatever they want to do and they can call it whatever they want. My thoughts on the matter are if you don't like gay marriage then that's fine, you don't have to marry one.

The church though would be happy keeping us all rooted in the dark ages, the golden era of that rotten organisation.

A very controversial cardinal - Home News - UK - The Independent

The gall of that man. He preaches from his pulpit expecting his word to still have some authority. What he won't accept is the majority of Scots aren't Catholic and I'd go so far as to say most are closet atheists. Why won't he just shut up and preach to his converted who give a f**k?

His pedophilia analogy is pretty low for an organisation that itself has been absolutely littered with the abuse of trust of their flock. You didn't see him preaching from the pulpit then. Absolute farce religion, just like them all really.

Comment

I think this is more to do with your views on Catholics than sticking up for gay people.

Do we need to mention "the post" again?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              I think this is more to do with your views on Catholics than sticking up for gay people.

Do we need to mention "the post" again?
              I hold most religions in contempt, but feel free to rage away.

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                I hold most religions in contempt, but feel free to rage away.
                I'm off to Cameron House for the night, you fire in, you seem to have plenty to say, I don't think anyone is interested but maybe someone will bite.

Comment

Interesting post Incognito.
                  I am not too fond of any organisation that gets too big for it's boots. and that includes Stonewall as well as organised religion.
                  My dad was a proud Catholic, but he used to hide behind the couch when the priest came near, and me mum was a proud proddy, orange through and through, but she used to hide behind the couch when the minister came near. Now me brothers a vicar and when HE comes near he knows exactly where I am hiding.

I dont care if gay marriages or partnerships become legal or even the norm. as long as they dont preach it in the schools. leave them kids alone

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                    What on earth has football got to do with religion?

Celtic is Catholic and Rangers is Protestant.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X