• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suing for non-payment of invoice, advice wanted

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suing for non-payment of invoice, advice wanted

Hi,

I have an outstanding invoice which is overdue for payment. I am still in the throes of the 3-letter cycle and am hoping MyCo will be paid before having to do anything horrible, stressing and expensive like court action...

...but, if the worst comes to the worst, then can anyone recommend a solicitor who has pursued a debt through the courts for them ? Or a debt collection agency ditto ? Any ideas which of these courses of action is preferable will be listened to. I'm looking for personal experience rather than hearsay if possible.

Sum is too big to be a small claim but not big enough to break me. It would really sting to lose it though...

Thanks,

Boo

I know Safe Collections post on here from time to time but can't vouch for them personally.

Not sure if http://payontime.co.uk/ might be of any use too.

Good luck with it though.

Comment

If you PM me nearer the time, I can let you know the name of a ***very*** competent litigator who has the right mix or rottweiler versus reasonable negotiator. I've used many solicitors before and this is the only guy I would trust. He is a client of mine, but no other connection.

Comment

Just out of interest, how overdue are your invoices? I have had endless issues with my current client, getting on for 30 days overdue now and about to stay offiste if its not sorted next week.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
          Just out of interest, how overdue are your invoices? I have had endless issues with my current client, getting on for 30 days overdue now and about to stay offiste if its not sorted next week.
          Well the specimen letters I found on the web (there are several different ones around) said to write the first letter when 7 days overdue, the second at 14 days and the final at 21 days overdue. I wouldn't personally let a commercial debt get 30 days without something in writing - the older a debt the less likely it is to get paid.

Boo
          Last edited by Boo; 5 November 2012, 15:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
            Well the specimin letters I found on the web (there are several different ones around) said to write the first letter when 7 days overdue, the second at 14 days and the final at 21 days overdue. I wouldn't personally let a commercial debt get 30 days without something in writing - the older a debt the less likely it is to get paid.

Boo
            But how overdue is it??

I would be sending them a letter every other day once it got past 2 weeks late personally.

Have they given you any feedback whatsoever? Even excuses?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Well the specimen letters I found on the web (there are several different ones around) said to write the first letter when 7 days overdue, the second at 14 days and the final at 21 days overdue. I wouldn't personally let a commercial debt get 30 days without something in writing - the older a debt the less likely it is to get paid.

Boo
              Yeap done all that. Today will give two days notice that I'll be Walking offsite until its paid.

Comment

Hi,

I have an outstanding invoice which is overdue for payment. I am still in the throes of the 3-letter cycle and am hoping MyCo will be paid before having to do anything horrible, stressing and expensive like court action...

...but, if the worst comes to the worst, then can anyone recommend a solicitor who has pursued a debt through the courts for them ? Or a debt collection agency ditto ? Any ideas which of these courses of action is preferable will be listened to. I'm looking for personal experience rather than hearsay if possible.

Sum is too big to be a small claim but not big enough to break me. It would really sting to lose it though...

Thanks,

Boo
                Hello

We aren't going to plug our services (fear of Cojak) but we did supply a guide on this very subject for ContractorUK here that gives our view on your options if MyCo do not pay.

That may also be useful for JoJoGabor (although walking off site usually gets peoples attention).

Have you tried calling as well as sending letters? If so have they given a reason for late payment?
                The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

I used Lovetts a couple of times. First went all the way through to getting a CCJ, which cost about £500, although still didn't get the money because the client was bankrupt. Second was just getting them to send a letter, which got the attention of the client's Financial Director and had the desired effect.

There's always someone who'll post that payontime link, but it's entirely useless IMO.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    There's always someone who'll post that payontime link, but it's entirely useless IMO.
                    Why is that?
                    The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

Working...
                    X