• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NY marathon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NY marathon

Know a guy who had to pull out last minute last year with an injury, he is in NY just now after flying across on Thursday and they pulled the damn thing.

That must be a pisser.

It did strike me as bit of an over-reaction for them to have cancelled it. I'm all for showing due consideration to people's feelings at a time of loss, but you've got to balance that against the investment of time and money that people will have made to attend an event that may be happening in the same city but has nothing whatsoever to do with Hurricane Sandy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
      It did strike me as bit of an over-reaction for them to have cancelled it. I'm all for showing due consideration to people's feelings at a time of loss, but you've got to balance that against the investment of time and money that people will have made to attend an event that may be happening in the same city but has nothing whatsoever to do with Hurricane Sandy.
      Well said.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Why are all the terrible destructive natural events named after women ?
        thats a bit harsh sy01

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

It did strike me as bit of an over-reaction for them to have cancelled it...
          WSS - The Yanks aren't the people they once were. Their sentimental streak seems to have completely taken over.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            thats a bit harsh sy01

Sandy is a fellas name n all bud

This one was a lady though.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              WSS - The Yanks aren't the people they once were. Their sentimental streak seems to have completely taken over.
              too true OH.

we are much less sentimental over here.

It's like the Somme here, with the fireworks going off, but I put the cats out anyway. Should have seen the little buggers run
              I expect them to be in NY by this time tomorrow

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                too true OH.

we are much less sentimental over here.

It's like the Somme here, with the fireworks going off, but I put the cats out anyway. Should have seen the little buggers run
                I expect them to be in NY by this time tomorrow

We are looking after the nay burrs moggie while they are on holly bobs . Sy02 only remembered this after a Roman candle exploded, bounced off our silver birch and landed in their garden. Roo is nowhere to be seen.

Our moggies are safely tucked up inside though.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  We are looking after the nay burrs moggie while they are on holly bobs . Sy02 only remembered this after a Roman candle exploded, bounced off our silver birch and landed in their garden. Roo is nowhere to be seen.

Our moggies are safely tucked up inside though.
                  im dead when the missus comes in. dead

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

It's not a case of considering people's feelings. There are still parts of the city without power, and elderly and other vulnerable people trapped or stranded with no food or water, and people left homeless. To dedicate a load of resources like generators, water, food, tents and manpower to the marathon in those circumstances would be pretty dumb.

Comment

Working...
                    X