• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Complete and Utter Chaos

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete and Utter Chaos

"Never known a night like it", were the words that greeted me as I walked into the Cock and Bottle for my post matins snifter earlier today.

More front than Southend, in the old Cockney vernacular, would be a fitting epithet for the landlady of our local. She's been round the block a few times has our Margolin but she hasn't seen this much white powder in November since attending Francis Rossi's bonfire party back in her days as a Tiller Girl.

And I have to concur.

Trees that are still in full leaf just had no way of supporting the sheer volume of snow that fell overnight and roads are blocked right left and centre around here. Seems to be very localised though - nothing fell at all in Frome but Burrington Combe was completely cut off for a number of hours.

The sheer scale of last night's storm is being laid bare as I go from pub to pub where the locals are already describing this weather event as the Great November Blizzard of 2012.

Is anyone else affected?

If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
      Is anyone else affected?
      I don't think anyone's quite as affected as you ...

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post

Is anyone else affected?
        Yeah, woke up to find that a branch of a tree had landed on the roof of my car. Fortunately, all the ivy covering it acted as a cushion & no damage was done but it was a hefty bit of wood.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
          Yeah, woke up to find that a branch of a tree had landed on the roof of my car. Fortunately, all the ivy covering it acted as a cushion & no damage was done but it was a hefty bit of wood.
          Actually it could have been unfortunate, because ivy weakens branches over time, enough for them to be blown off.

Comment

Makes a change when the southern shandy drinkers get the snow first (if at all!). It'll be all over the southern biased press no doubt this evening.
            Blood in your poo

Comment

Working...
            X