• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Travel & Parking meter HRMCTreatment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Travel & Parking meter HRMCTreatment

Hi all,

I am aware the questions below are to be directed at accountants but I don’t have one as of yet. However I have learnt a lot on this forum so no wise cracks about me without an accountant!

Car Travel & Parking meters
    I normally drive to the station every money to go to the client site, Round trip is about 3 miles daily. I don’t keep receipts when I buy petrol.

I also sometimes use the parking meters @£3 a day which there is mostly no poof of since I tend to chuck away the receipt

My questions are :-
    1) Can I claim for these things even without the receipts ?
    2) what is the accounting /Inland revenue way of accounting or recording these items?

3) How do I sort out dividends

Cheers

Css_jay99

IANA

You can claim your mileage at sandard HMRC rates without a receipt, you just need to keep a record of your journeys.

If you wanted to claim the VAT back on the petrol used for raveling in the car then you will need some petrol receipts, but based upon how few miles you do wouldn't bother.

If the parking meters give you a receipt then keep it. Just stuff them in an envelope (maybe 1 envelope per month), then claiming is simple.

I'm bored now
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99
      3) How do I sort out dividends
      Do a search of the forums, this question comes up all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
        IANA

If the parking meters give you a receipt then keep it. Just stuff them in an envelope (maybe 1 envelope per month), then claiming is simple.

I'm bored now

Does this mean that I cant claim without receipts. I have only managed to keep 3 out of about almost 60

cheers

css_jay99

Comment

Does this mean that I cant claim without receipts. I have only managed to keep 3 out of about almost 60

cheers

css_jay99
          If HMRC come knocking then they will want the receipts, although there are some Brollies out there that imply that you do not need them

It's up to you whether or not you claim without them, but for the furure I'd advice that you keep them. Just get into the habbit of putting them in an envelope when you pick up the car.
          Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

cheers

css_jay99
            No it doesn't. You can in fact claim anything you want without a receipt. It's just that there is a risk involved. What you need to be able to do is to substantiiate the expenditure to the satisfaction of an inspector - should they investigate you. In your position I would simply be inclined to annotate the mileage claim "+ 3 quid parking" or similar and claim it.

There is a risk that an inspector may disallow it, but if everything else is reasonably OK in the compliance review it is fairly unlikely.

Comment

Thanks Guy,

I might pobably ignore the parking meter for now and bill the car travel. though I dont have receipts for this, but I guess if the worst comes I might have to get my bank for proof..

cheers

css_jay99

Comment

Thanks Guy,

I might pobably ignore the parking meter for now and bill the car travel. though I dont have receipts for this, but I guess if the worst comes I might have to get my bank for proof..

cheers

css_jay99
                As said before, you don't need petrol receipts for claiming mileage unless you wish to reclaim the VAT, but for the small amount of mileage you are doing it would be more hassle than its worth. Just keep a record of the journeys you make.

Comment

I didn't realise that you needed the petrol receipt to claim the 2p vat back on the mileage. I don't keep any petrol receipts, I just record every trip in a travel book.

Comment

Get on the VAT Flate Rate Scheme and you dont need to worry about recording the VAT element etc. Just keep track of the milage. As long as your VAT'able expenses are minimal you will be better off over all. It saves me around £400 a month.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X