• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sister is at the Crossroads - redundancy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sister is at the Crossroads - redundancy

My sister is 52 and she has been offered redundancy by the big bank she works for. £70k pay off and and 11k pension she can take in three years time

but she is terrified. She's been working so long that the thought of not having a steady job frightens her a lot.

I knocked up a little spreadsheet for her, projecting out to 2030 where she will be under 5 different scenarios and she is mulling it over

anyone else here have any experience in this type of area ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Of being made redundant or having a 52 year old sister?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Or doing spreadsheets?

Can't stand working on them myself.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

11K doesn't sound a lot, has she paid off the house?

Sounds to me like she would need another job, or has she got a hubby who works in which case...sounds gr8.¨

Husband of my cousin faced a similar thing around that age, got made redundant, but got involved in something later not as a permie doing his old job but from contacts and so on.

Probability is something turns up, just needs time to work out.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 5 November 2012, 16:20.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          11K doesn't sound a lot, has she paid off the house?

Sounds to me like she would need another job, or has she got a hubby who works in which case...sounds gr8.¨

Husband of my cousin faced a similar thing around that age, got made redundant, but got involved in something later not as a permie doing his old job but from contacts and so on.

Probability is something turns up, just needs time to work out.
          the house is paid for and she is single. I think you are right about another job though.

maybe a pt job working in a shop
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Have you had Mrs NLUK's 52 year old sister?

@EO agreed a part time job sounds essential, but with no kids or mortgage, that could be pretty comfortable on top of 11k p.a.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              My sister is 52 and she has been offered redundancy by the big bank she works for. £70k pay off and and 11k pension she can take in three years time

but she is terrified. She's been working so long that the thought of not having a steady job frightens her a lot.

I knocked up a little spreadsheet for her, projecting out to 2030 where she will be under 5 different scenarios and she is mulling it over

The money needs to be invested in something sound. There is only one way the UK economy is going and that is down and even further down for the next ten years. By the time she is 65, the Uk maybe on the way out of ressesion
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Take the money and buy gold.

Comment

time to restrain spending and get a lesser job.

good luck to her
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    The money needs to be invested in something sound. There is only one way the UK economy is going and that is down and even further down for the next ten years. By the time she is 65, the Uk maybe on the way out of ressesion
                    According to Wikipedia, the population of China is 1,341,403,687, of which a BBC article today claims 600,000,000 are middle class.

So the current recession will be over when the remaining 741,403,687 Chinese become middle class, and the entire population of India and Africa etc who aren't already middle class become so too.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X