• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ir35calc.co.uk: fair enough?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ir35calc.co.uk: fair enough?

What do you reckon? Is it a fair calculation?

http://calculator.contractoruk.com/

According to this an 80k permanent position is paired with a 60 quid an hour contract within IR35.

I tend to agree, would you?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

...this sounds like you're trying to come terms with a perm salary.

Well lets calculate.

Well I get 200 days on £60 is around £96K gross. So assuming the 10% employers contribution means 90K (cost to the mployer) = £60.

However.....

I think you'll find most contractors who've been doing it for over 5 years average quite a bit more than 200 days a year, including "downtime".

...and who the hell pays IR35...

The reality is if you're on 60 an hour you'll be netting around £75,000
    a year NETTING . That is contracting reality.

I'm on a paltry rate and net comparably.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 21 June 2006, 11:39.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

I calculate most permies work around 225 days a year, including sick days and holidays. So 80K salary would be comparable to £44 per hour.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp
        I calculate most permies work around 225 days a year, including sick days and holidays. So 80K salary would be comparable to £44 per hour.
        How can you all be sure you are never going to pay IR35? Isn't that a bit too naive or optimistic?
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

You can actually get insurance against IR35, so yes you can gurantee that as you have insurance you don't pay it. The insurers then pay any IR35 demanded by the IR in the unlikely event that they win a court case. The insurance is fairly cheap.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
            How can you all be sure you are never going to pay IR35?
            By not sending your contracts in for review to the IR.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
              By not sending your contracts in for review to the IR.
              Ok then you are naive.

Comment

Working...
              X