• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bommy night - when I were a lad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bommy night - when I were a lad

When I was a kid, I always used to know it was close to bommy night because of the trains.

it's true.

There are a few days at the beginning of November when the atmospheric conditions must be just right, and you can hear the trains running even though you live five miles from the railway

spooky

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Went to a bonfire last night with the Mrs and kids and the Health and Safety commitee had been at it again and cordened it off around the bonfire, but the fence was that far away from the bonfire I swear I needed binoculars to see the thing! Couldn't even feel the warmth of the thing, never mind throw some old aerosol cans on there

Comment

Lewis fireworks is a hoot. At one site the pope and two cardinals comes up, stand in a field and berate the crowd who throw fireworks and launch rockets by hand at said Catholics.

Great fun and bloody lethal.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I remember that there were always stories going around about a kid who made a den in their bonfire and kept guard of the wood they had nicked. In the night their bonfire was set on fire and the kid was roasted. I don't know if it ever really happened, but we all knew somebody who knew sombody that this happened to.

The best part of bonfire night was the scavving of wood - taking anything and everything you could find that might burn and chucking it on the pile. Raiding other people bonfires was the easiest way of err getting wood!!
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

We used to keep all the wood in our garden till the day itself to stop it being raided, worst raiding was from my dad who was always nicking stuff to stick in his shed after claiming it was 'too good to burn'. First priority was a good 'center pole' onto which all else could be stacked, baked spuds would be done in the embers but without foil which made them hard to find later AND with a probably cancerous soot layer coating, tasted good though with a bit of butter and salt on !

Comment

Kids today don't see Bonfire night as it should be. Standing too close to a huge pile of burning wood, carelessley constructed by a bunch of kids while watching in very much less than awe as a parent lit a Catherine Wheel out of the standard box of fireworks that wheren phhfftttftttffpppphhfff for a few seconds before sticking after spinning a whole 90 degrees!
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
            X