• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Handover begins

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handover begins

I am now officially working a Tues - Thurs week for one more month solely for handover of my work to Bobs outsourced army

Can't complain, it's been a 3 month gig that has lasted 15.

So, I get the early morning train (6:30), the early morning flight, the lunchtime train to client co.

Arrived at 1pm expecting to be greeted by many invites to handover my work to Bobs army and their single local representitive at client site... opens up client co. outlook and .. zero nada zilch.

I then make a few enquiries to ask why nothings been scheduled.. "oh errr maybe I might have some time tomorrow morning for an hour"

I wonder if I could squeeze yet another month of handover out of this??
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Originally posted by chef View Post
    I am now officially working a Tues - Thurs week for one more month solely for handover of my work to Bobs outsourced army

Can't complain, it's been a 3 month gig that has lasted 15.

So, I get the early morning train (6:30), the early morning flight, the lunchtime train to client co.

Arrived at 1pm expecting to be greeted by many invites to handover my work to Bobs army and their single local representitive at client site... opens up client co. outlook and .. zero nada zilch.

I then make a few enquiries to ask why nothings been scheduled.. "oh errr maybe I might have some time tomorrow morning for an hour"

I wonder if I could squeeze yet another month of handover out of this??
    It's a nice time to finish up, provided you've built up your warchest in those 15 months. Allow yourself a month or so to chill out in the run up to Christmas, and don't do anything more taxing than maybe attending some interviews for roles starting after the turn of the year. Enjoy.

Comment

God I could do with some time off. Being dreaming of a 6 week / 3 month break for the last 10 years but I've just gone from gig to gig, gig to perm a few times. Last time I took more than a month was in 2000 .
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I'd be tempted to be a bit more pro active, attempt to book some appointments in Outlook with the Bob's, have them cancel / not turn up.

That way when they try to blame you for not doing the handover you have documentary evidence.

In the interim do extensive documentation (copy & paste project docs and basic info they can find on Google).

might as well let it ride, if you get paid through December your warchest will be fuller for a slow January. Plus you get all the Christmas lunches. Also if they fail to handover you can double your rate in Jan when they suddenly realise they screwed up.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          I'd be tempted to be a bit more pro active, attempt to book some appointments in Outlook with the Bob's, have them cancel / not turn up.

That way when they try to blame you for not doing the handover you have documentary evidence.

In the interim do extensive documentation (copy & paste project docs and basic info they can find on Google).

might as well let it ride, if you get paid through December your warchest will be fuller for a slow January. Plus you get all the Christmas lunches. Also if they fail to handover you can double your rate in Jan when they suddenly realise they screwed up.
          +1

Send invite to discuss the handover.
          Do PP slides of your view of the handover.
          Assign other people to each task in your plan.
          Make sure you are not assigned any tasks other than turning up to do the handover.

Really really cover your ass on this.
          Bob may not have their resources in place and will be looking for someone to blame.
          Or the resources they have in place may not be what was promised and they don't want you meeting everyone.
          Because client may ask your opinion.

Whatever the reason, just be very careful.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            God I could do with some time off. Being dreaming of a 6 week / 3 month break for the last 10 years but I've just gone from gig to gig, gig to perm a few times. Last time I took more than a month was in 2000 .
            YAWN
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
              +1

Send invite to discuss the handover.
              Do PP slides of your view of the handover.
              Assign other people to each task in your plan.
              Make sure you are not assigned any tasks other than turning up to do the handover.

Really really cover your ass on this.
              Bob may not have their resources in place and will be looking for someone to blame.
              Or the resources they have in place may not be what was promised and they don't want you meeting everyone.
              Because client may ask your opinion.

Whatever the reason, just be very careful.
              WAPS
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                +1

Bob will not have the correct resources in place and will be looking to hide the fact until its too late.
                FTFY as you have to be accurate (and honest)
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You will be there a long time.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                  X