• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What a genius idea

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a genius idea

Just thought I'd share what I thought was a great idea:

My brother owns a recent architect startup firm in Oman whereby it's quite frequent that clients come in to discuss business during a saturday along with family on their way to doing other things. Quite often it was a rushed affair mainly because the young children arent that good at waiting around an office environment while business is discussed. My brothers solution to this was simple, cheap and yet quite ingenius IMO.

He painted a complete length of a wall in the main office area up to waist height with blackboard paint, provided coloured chalks and a sofa with coffee on hand. Thus, kids get to draw on the walls which keeps them happy for quite a long time, mothers get to sit in peace drinking coffee watching the child and father gets to spend longer discussing business without the stress of having family to keep in mind with the end result that profits go up as possible new work is discussed at greater length.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

One of those simple but clever ideas indeed but if my time in Cairo was anything to go by the men doing the business didn't give a hoot what his wife and kids did while he was going about his affairs. He tells them to sit there and sit there they will. Completely different culture to think about. Is Oman a little less strict so this would work?

Will walls with childrens drawings put off the men by looking like a nursery? Issue with respect or something equally as wacky as your brothers idea?

Lot of cultural elements to think about when implementing ideas like this.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Why not put in a muchentuchen bar?
      Last edited by suityou01; 6 November 2012, 15:31.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

It seems that this is culturally acceptable.

From what I gather they have a modern clean looking main open plan office with art desks spread out so it's looks on entrance like a busy professional environment and the wall strip is reguarly "repainted" with a roller and black paint looking like part of the office clean lined design.

He's had men walk in with family behind them saying his firm was recommended by a client on the basis that as well as being recommended for the actual work, it was also relaxing atmosphere for the kids among other reasons that put them above the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Why not put in a moochan toochan bar?
          a what now

is that safe to google?

Comment

Been in a few offices in the US that have put a little corner/room aside for kids to play during meetings.

Last place though was 'NO KIDS OR FAMILY ALLOWED' though.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
            X