• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New job!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New job!

Warm greetings on this fine morning,

I thought I'd run this by you wise ones. Recently, I started a new contract; very local, poor rate (the wolves are gathering...)

On brief inspection of the 'project plan', it's clear the requirement will not be delivered on time. I've found myself in 'hot water' over this kind of thing before . I intend to raise this at senior level as I see it's my responsible to be open and honest in all my affairs.

Any ideas on how to proceed on this?

Thanks, OR

one day at a time

If you're not the PM then speak to them, ask them to add it to the RAID log and esculate if there's no mitigation in place.
    If you're the PM then raise the risk with the BA, determine if it is a risk or now already and issue and esculate as necessary. If you can, whilst raising / esculating, try to give some kind of solution for bringing the deliverable in early rather than just pissing on someones work.
    Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
      Warm greetings on this fine morning,

I thought I'd run this by you wise ones. Recently, I started a new contract; very local, poor rate (the wolves are gathering...)

On brief inspection of the 'project plan', it's clear the requirement will not be delivered on time. I've found myself in 'hot water' over this kind of thing before . I intend to raise this at senior level as I see it's my responsible to be open and honest in all my affairs.

Any ideas on how to proceed on this?

Thanks, OR

Suity!!! One for you.

Comment

Last time I did that I was finished 10 days later

Fecking amateurs
        Blood in your poo

Comment

We don't have a PM - the last one quit (no plans to replace) . My new role is 'Technical Business Analyst - Interim', so I believe raising 'delivery' issues comes under my remit. This is my 1st role as a TBA as opposed to a developer (code monkey), so I'm proceeding with caution.

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
            We don't have a PM - the last one quit (no plans to replace) . My new role is 'Technical Business Analyst - Interim', so I believe raising 'delivery' issues comes under my remit. This is my 1st role as a TBA as opposed to a developer (code monkey), so I'm proceeding with caution.

Raise it early, i assume that you are responsible for delivering these requirements, if so, then you need to flag upfront that they will not be available in time.

If there's no PM then who the hell is running the show? Get it added to the RAID log, if there's not one, then create one, capture as much as you can and get it on the team meeting agenda, if there's not one of those, then create one.

Time to get a bit of governance around the project, great way to learn is by DIY!
            Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Indeed put together a high level document show all the deliverables and put some timescales around them - this will make it real in terms of what dates are achievable...

so make sure you overestimate as your timescales will be squeezed...

Comment

If you can, provide solutions not problems. So show what is achievable, and if possible demonstrate that you have distilled the core requirements so that what is produced is actually useful. Also make it so whomever you report it to can look good in front of whomever they might have to report it to, and have a good story that translates well to non techies.
                Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Thank you for the words of wisdom and suggestions. I have taken all the advice on-board and working on a strategy.

I wish everyone a peaceful and rewarding evening (including the trolls).

one day at a time

Comment

Working...
                  X