• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What we've been saying for years...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What we've been saying for years...

UK facing middle-class brain drain as professionals seek better lives abroad - Telegraph

Almost half of all Britons who emigrate each year are professionals and company managers, potentially threatening the country’s supply of highly skilled workers, research for the Home Office found.

The attractions of a better lifestyle and climate, as well as career opportunities, meant a “large and increasing” number of executives, scientists, academics and doctors have chosen to leave Britain in the last 20 years, the report said.

Business leaders blamed high rates of income tax for the “disturbing” rises in the number of professionals leaving Britain for countries such as Australia, American and Canada. Around 149,000 British citizens emigrated last year, and 4.7 million now live overseas.

There were fears that high tax rates, cost of living and the slow economic recovery could prompt more people to emigrate.

Economists have warned that Britain’s tax rates are among the highest in the world. A report by the Adam Smith Institute said income tax rates had risen above those of France, damaging the UK’s competitiveness and stifling growth.

The study also suggested that migrants who move to the UK from elsewhere in Europe are much less likely to stay than those from poorer parts of the world, who add to Britain’s long-term population.

The weather is tulipe an all.

Anyone here already escaped or making plans to escape?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    UK facing middle-class brain drain as professionals seek better lives abroad - Telegraph

Almost half of all Britons who emigrate each year are professionals and company managers, potentially threatening the country’s supply of highly skilled workers, research for the Home Office found.

The attractions of a better lifestyle and climate, as well as career opportunities, meant a “large and increasing” number of executives, scientists, academics and doctors have chosen to leave Britain in the last 20 years, the report said.

Business leaders blamed high rates of income tax for the “disturbing” rises in the number of professionals leaving Britain for countries such as Australia, American and Canada. Around 149,000 British citizens emigrated last year, and 4.7 million now live overseas.

There were fears that high tax rates, cost of living and the slow economic recovery could prompt more people to emigrate.

Economists have warned that Britain’s tax rates are among the highest in the world. A report by the Adam Smith Institute said income tax rates had risen above those of France, damaging the UK’s competitiveness and stifling growth.

The study also suggested that migrants who move to the UK from elsewhere in Europe are much less likely to stay than those from poorer parts of the world, who add to Britain’s long-term population.

The weather is tulipe an all.

Yep I am off to the Isle of Wight for the weekend
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

...The weather is tulipe an all.

I have spent most of my life living and working in other countries. I'm only back in the UK because I went and got a partner who won't live anywhere else. Ironically I can't seem to find any contracts in the UK (oh the halcyon days when I joined the flood of young professionals converging on London where all the work was...then) so I'm still working in other countries, just not living in them.

Comment

I'm on a plane this afternoon. Bye bye suckers.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          First post in about 2 1/2 years
          WTF! Welcome back!

Comment

Currently working in Switzerland at the moment and when this gig ends I'll probably consider working elsewhere Europe.
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

I would love to get out of this country.

Once this gig ends, I'll see what's out there in Europe.

Comment

When you're working outside of the UK it really does open your eyes to how bad things really are.
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

If not for a court order on the twins I would have gone years ago.

Comment

Switzerland has very tough rules on immigration and citizenship. not sure how the welfare system here works. But you have to pay for private healthcare and it's a legal requirement to work here.
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                    X