• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview today

On my way in now. It's with media types though. A colleague of mine in the last gig warned me about them.

Anyone work in media? My last two gigs were in media and the last one was ok, the one before took its toll.

What specifically is it about media types that worries folks?

To the panel.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    On my way in now. It's with media types though. A colleague of mine in the last gig warned me about them.

Anyone work in media? My last two gigs were in media and the last one was ok, the one before took its toll.

To the panel.
    Look we've had a PM chat. I wasn't interviewing you.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Look we've had a PM chat. I wasn't interviewing you.
      Get you, bragging.

Comment

Pointless degrees
        Knowing nothing about technology so expect everything to take five minutes
        Thinking that if they use big words they sound clever
        Saying things like, "i'm good with IT, i set up a facebook profile for my mum"

Good luck with it, 3pm interview for me (not in media)

Comment

Depends what you mean by "media". I'll talk to any client about any project I think is interesting and has a likelihood of benefiting both of us. However, that said, there are two types of client I've learned to avoid: financial services, and digital agencies.

The latter invariably seems to think you'll be interested in doing spec work for them as a way of proving your skills, as opposed to them investing their own time reviewing your online portfolio to decide if the skills demonstrated there match their requirements and then actually paying you for doing what they need done. When you check out their financial record, you also usually find their profits are minimal and their bank balance is comical. If that's the type of client you're interviewing with, I'd be on my guard if I were you.

Comment

I previously worked for one of the large magazine publishers and some of the people were completely up themselves i don't know if it was due to deadlines for printing or what but some of them were the most obnoxious people i have ever had to deal with

One particular rock\metal publication the women were terrible they were either not getting any or listening to all that loud music turned them into complete bitches.

The only good part about working there was the endless party's and having to monitor the emails going through the High street honey's mailbox

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
              Depends what you mean by "media". I'll talk to any client about any project I think is interesting and has a likelihood of benefiting both of us. However, that said, there are two types of client I've learned to avoid: financial services, and digital agencies.

The latter invariably seems to think you'll be interested in doing spec work for them as a way of proving your skills,
              as opposed to them investing their own time reviewing your online portfolio to decide if the skills demonstrated there match their requirements and then actually paying you for doing what they need done. When you check out their financial record, you also usually find their profits are minimal and their bank balance is comical. If that's the type of client you're interviewing with, I'd be on my guard if I were you.
              very true, publishers especially see no harm in getting interns in for 6/12 months to work for free with the promise of permanent work

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post

The latter invariably seems to think you'll be interested in doing spec work for them as a way of proving your skills, as opposed to them investing their own time reviewing your online portfolio to decide if the skills demonstrated there match their requirements and then actually paying you for doing what they need done. When you check out their financial record, you also usually find their profits are minimal and their bank balance is comical. If that's the type of client you're interviewing with, I'd be on my guard if I were you.
                Daily rags.

Comment

Daily rags.
                  Can you hack a phone?
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

To the panel.
                    Good luck you fat whinging bastard.

Comment

Working...
                    X