• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC to give freelance staff contracts after tax review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad times...

Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

That is only 'on-air' staff though.....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The paper I read said the BBC were going to assess each contract to see if the person's involved had other outside interests that made them totally "freelance"

Edit: I see that article says much the same too
      Last edited by Sausage Surprise; 7 November 2012, 13:53. Reason: read the article first!
      Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
        The paper I read said the BBC were going to assess each contract to see if the person's involved had other outside interests that made them totally "freelance"
        This will be interesting to see how restrictive their BBC contracts are. Obviously they can't work for rival broadcasters but what about personal appearances etc. I would like to know if this is covered by the BBC contract. If not then it would be pretty easy to show substantial outside work surely?

Comment

I do wonder how this could work? Don't many "slebs" write articles in newspapers, novels, etc. How would it work for say a comedian who appears on Live at the Apollo (BBC) and also 8 Out Of 10 Cats (C4)? Surely that would be quite restrictive in having just one contact with the beeb? So the Top Gear team would have to make their crap festive DVD's through the beeb and not own/other production company?

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I worked at the beeb for a year and I'd say at least 1/2 of the back room people are contractors (well over 3/4 for the project I worked on), could be interesting if people start getting classified as "employees" and placed inside IR35 or offered permy contracts, the place will empty.
            Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

I'm worried about the wider effects on the future of contracting.

What if private sector businesses decide to join in so as not to be seen as a nasty company who hires overpaid contractors/freelancers who don't pay their "fair share" of tax? It'd be good for PR after all.
              Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

I think we have to becareful with all this scaremongering about the Beeb and look carefully of what we do and the differences to what celebs do. Just because they are freelance it doesn't mean they are the same as us. We could be said to provide consultancy in areas that the Beeb don't have the skills. This is a different classification to what Celebs do. You can't get away from an organisation needing consultancy to fill skill gaps but you can re-think the whole classification of Celebs.

For the moment I believe they are very separate so can't think we are in the firing line at this stage just because we use a LTD company. That aspect might be similar but the work we do isn't.

Take careful note of words like 'on-air' before getting too worried. The devil is in the details at the moment IMO

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
                  I'm worried about the wider effects on the future of contracting.

What if private sector businesses decide to join in so as not to be seen as a nasty company who hires overpaid contractors/freelancers who don't pay their "fair share" of tax? It'd be good for PR after all.
                  Freelancers dopay their fair share of tax.

It's us tax dodging people who use limited companies who don't.

And the reason we have to use limited companies to do freelance work isn't our fault.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Freelancers dopay their fair share of tax.

It's us tax dodging people who use limited companies who don't.

And the reason we have to use limited companies to do freelance work isn't our fault.
                    I pay the fair amount of tax mandated by UK tax law. No more, no less.

Anyway, on air celebs are clearly caught by IR35 anyway. In the credits for every programme there is someone called a "Director", so clearly the on air people are under direction... QED.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X