• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fax? WTF??!?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fax? WTF??!?

The agency for my new gig apparently expects me to fax - yes, fax - my timesheet to them

Given that I live in this century and not the last, I don't have a phone line, or indeed anything that would connect to a phone line. Do the honourable denizens know of any web sites that function adequately to send faxes and aren't a complete ripoff?

Alternatively, perhaps I could serialise the timesheet into Morse and send it to the agency's telegraphic apparatus

Current agency (Hydrogen) asked for the same thing as their timesheet is done in Excel !!

Please print and fax or post

In the end, they agreed to take a copy, emailed by an authorised client rep.

having said that, I did like Fax machines back in the day
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      The agency for my new gig apparently expects me to fax - yes, fax - my timesheet to them

Given that I live in this century and not the last, I don't have a phone line, or indeed anything that would connect to a phone line. Do the honourable denizens know of any web sites that function adequately to send faxes and aren't a complete ripoff?

Alternatively, perhaps I could serialise the timesheet into Morse and send it to the agency's telegraphic apparatus
      I hear carrier pigeons are all the rage these days

Failing that, I tell them I'm scanning it, emailing it to their accounts department and they can stop moaning and pay the damn thing.

Comment

I send all mine by Telegram. Stop.

Telegram Stop | Send a Traditional Classic Telegram the Easy Way

Comment

My agency does too and it's a right PITA. Fortunately, client has a fax machine in their office (which seems to be exclusively used by contractors).

I have used e-mail to fax services before - can't remember who though as it was over several bottles of wine ago.

I do remember though that the free ones are tulipe and sometimes the fax doesn't arrive. You'll need to pay - it's cheaper in the long run if you block buy a number of pages rather than doing a pay as you go type thing.

Comment

Possibly something like this? (or an equivalent app for your mobile phone type). Although I think Bunk has the right idea - they'll probably be amenable to an e-mailed scan/photograph of the thing.
            Last edited by Gentile; 7 November 2012, 18:02.

Comment

Check out your local newsagent (the kind that do photocopies etc.) as they've probably got a fax machine.
              I've had to fax timesheets in the recent past, but most will accept a scanned copy.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
                Possibly something like this? (or an equivalent app for your mobile phone type). Although I think Bunk has the right idea - they'll probably be amenable to an e-mailed scan/photograph of the thing.
                That's a good idea - sort of using the phone as a phone

A quick look shows there are similar apps for iOS, including DropBox integration, and able to handle PDF, Word, Excel, etc.

However the panic is over as, with a little prompting, the agent has revealed the secret email address to which scans can be sent.

Still think it's a bit odd having to use a piece of paper in the first place though; I don't think I've seen a non-online timesheet system since 2009, and I thought it was primitive then. Ho hum

Comment

That's a good idea - sort of using the phone as a phone

A quick look shows there are similar apps for iOS, including DropBox integration, and able to handle PDF, Word, Excel, etc.

However the panic is over as, with a little prompting, the agent has revealed the secret email address to which scans can be sent.

Still think it's a bit odd having to use a piece of paper in the first place though; I don't think I've seen a non-online timesheet system since 2009, and I thought it was primitive then. Ho hum
                  I certainly think it's becoming the norm to approve any documentation electronically. E.g., even though there's been a physical space to sign a paper copy on all of the contracts I've been party to in the past few years, a scanned signature inserted into a PDF of the document has always been a perfectly-acceptable way to exchange signed contracts. And with timesheets, there's usually not even that. They're usually just a web app with a password, that sends appropriate e-mails to all parties to the process, who then log in to create/approve/process payment of the timesheets concerned, and automatically generate self-billing invoices that are e-mailed to the Contractor.

Comment

I don't like doing my timesheets and having a paper invoice sent to me. Don't like it one bit.

Comment

Working...
                    X