• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jan any good for finding new contracts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi current contract ends December 22nd and was just wondering what your experiences of trying to find a contract in January?

The book, contractor handbook, says it's a good time, jan/feb??

Should I get ready for some rubbish daytime telly?

Cheers in advance

My current gig started in Jan.

Hiring at that time does happen despite what people say.

Comment

January is famously one of the better months.
      Having said that, if you're Tesco or Ford then you're big & bland enough to plausibly blame the economic cycle for your lack of sales. If you're a freelancer, then it's much more about your individual marketing skills and good old fashioned gumption.

Comment

There's fecking tuliploads of roles available in January (and February if truth be told)!

Anyone who cant pick a job up in Jan \ Feb is really not trying.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          There's fecking tuliploads of roles available in January (and February if truth be told)!

Anyone who cant pick a job up in Jan \ Feb is really not trying.
          What about Santa impersonators? They might struggle in jan unless aiming for the Orthodox market..

Comment

Nope, ******* horrible. Next.

For developers

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

For developers

I'm not sure where they get their figures from, but anecdotally I always found January to be about the best month to pick up a contract in. People are just coming back from their two-week Christmas break, so they don't have anything else on their desks the first day back. And there's a sense of starting afresh with the New Year just gone, and an attendant tendency for people to finally get moving on that project they've been putting off starting for months and months.

That said, there are no guarantees in this game, and you can pick up a contract or have a dry spell at any time of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Not sure I'm with you. That graph shows 8 Januaries, of which 6 look like an uptick, and 2 ('09 and '12) go down.

Comment

Mid January onward is usually OK as you have all of the stuff that got put on hold from mid/late November until after the new year plus people in big companies get a handle on how much they have to spend in the last quarter in order to not come in too far under budget.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    Not sure I'm with you. That graph shows 8 Januaries, of which 6 look like an uptick, and 2 ('09 and '12) go down.
                    But the gap between the lines is 6 months so mentally divide it up by 6 and yes it goes up but by a tiny amount compared to the rest of the 6 months. Just because something goes up from the trough doesn't mean it's good. It means it starting to get better from the worst. I wouldn't say that means January is a good time to be looking.

For the OP's interest it is graph from IT Jobs Watch, Tracking the IT Job Market and doesn't include linkedin, word of mouth etc. Just a scraping of advertised roles on IT recruitment websites.

The graph above shows developer trends. I looked at a couple of others and they look markedly different but January is never a great month. As many have said it doesn't mean there aren't any though so get stuck in with the same gusto as any other time of year IMO.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X