• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this a CUK poster, its me,me,me enough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a CUK poster, its me,me,me enough

We can't survive on £80k a year!

We're middle class and successful - so why are we as poor as church mice? | Mail Online

well that really helped the squeezed middle's case.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Overdraft whats that?

I am no where near what others would consider well off but the kids know if we don't have the money it doesn't get spend, but that doesn't mean the kids are stuck at home, lots of things can be done cheaply or even free, so when we do treat them its not a problem
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

We have a three-bedroom house in London, but for the past five years have been able to pay only the interest, not the capital, on the mortgage. We have a car, but had to borrow £10,000 to buy it this summer when its 11-year-old predecessor gave up the ghost.

Our children, at a state primary school, are usually well turned out, though most of their clothes are hand-me-downs from relatives and friends. Dillon and I both wear winter coats bought at our local Cancer Research charity shop.

We spend £8,500 a year on the mortgage, £4,500 on utilities including energy and the phone, £12,000 on groceries, £2,500 on insurances, £2,500 on council tax and £3,600 on loan repayments.
      Buy a cheaper second hand car (perfectly usable cars start at about a grand), go and live outside London, stop yapping so much on the fooking phone and learn to eat food you can afford, you stupid whining bint.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Usual nonsense from an opinionpaper... top comment sums it up nicely:

Whilst I have every sympathy for this family the sums do not add up. Her husband earns more than £50,000.00 pa which equates to around £39,000.00 after tax whilst she earns around £30,000.00 or £25,000.00 after tax giving a household income of £64,000.00. Household bills come to £46,000.00 which leaves £18,000.00 or £1500.00 per month.

Hardly on the breadline!
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Buy a cheaper second hand car (perfectly usable cars start at about a grand), go and live outside London, stop yapping so much on the fooking phone and learn to eat food you can afford, you stupid whining bint.
          WHS

12k on food!! Holy Moly!!
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
            WHS

We do £12k on food - 3 kids and 2 adults. The caveat being we try and only by locally sourced stuff, so meats and veggies are mostly local (in season), which is more expensive. But my wife reckons £250 a week is a normal cost.

I haven't been shopping for about 15 years, so wouldn't know. Is that way too much?

Comment

WHS

Indeed, and why did an 11 year old car 'give up the ghost'? Thrashing it about? Not getting it maintained? FFS, modern cars can last a lot longer than 11 years if they're looked after and driven sensibly, unless of course they're driving huge mileage, but even then, a second hand MB or VW diesel can last for eons if you're sensible.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                We do £12k on food - 3 kids and 2 adults. The caveat being we try and only by locally sourced stuff, so meats and veggies are mostly local (in season), which is more expensive. But my wife reckons £250 a week is a normal cost.

I haven't been shopping for about 15 years, so wouldn't know. Is that way too much?
                I guess there is only the 3 of us so it's bound to be less. But yeah, I think £250 a week is a lot.
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post

It's quite a lot; the two of us probably spend about 100 to 150 euros a week together on food and wine, but we are both foodies. However, what I've noticed about a lot of people who complain about the price of food is that they're eating pre-cut and packaged meat or the luxury cuts like fillet steaks and chicken breast; I actually love eating liver, I often make meatloaf and we both enjoy slow cooked cheap cuts, and if I'm on the bench I just make more of that kind of thing and bring food costs down to 50 euros a week or less. If you talk to a good butcher you can eat VERY well indeed for not much money at all.

Comment

I guess there is only the 3 of us so it's bound to be less. But yeah, I think £250 a week is a lot.
                    tulip I spend that on wine!
                    Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Working...
                    X