• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Margin whilst on leave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Margin whilst on leave

Hi,

I have recently started my first contract and taken two weeks off as I was on a previously booked holiday.

What I am trying to find out is if an Umbrella's Net Margin should be taken when I am not getting any payment? I've just received my frist payment after a week back and have been charged 3 weeks Net Margin.

Should I have been charged 3 weeks or just the one please?

Thanks

Margin whilst on leave

Would you expect to pay your car insurance only for the times you are actually driving, or your NI only when you are ill?

Have a think.

Comment

I have been paid for work I haven't done. Therefore I wuoldnt expect to pay them for work they hadn't done. Didn't think it was an unreasonable question... did it really need such a sarcastic reply? Thank you for taking the time out of your day!

Comment

Margin whilst on leave

My response was valid I think!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          My response was valid I think!
          And my reason for questioning wasn't?

Funny, because have just found a company quoting on their site:

"If you only work for 2 weeks in a month due to having a 2 week holiday, you will only see our margin on your payslip for the 2 weeks you have worked; not a full month."

Comment

Originally posted by mrsprecious View Post
            And my reason for questioning wasn't?

Funny, because have just found a company quoting on their site:

"If you only work for 2 weeks in a month due to having a 2 week holiday, you will only see our margin on your payslip for the 2 weeks you have worked; not a full month."
            Did you ring them up and ask them to explain to you?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Did you ring them up and ask them to explain to you?
              Waiting for someone to come back to me which I why I thought I would ask on here :-)

Comment

It would be typical for the umbrella company to only deduct their margin from the funds received from the agency so they shouldn't be deducting anything for the weeks that you are on holiday
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

What does your contract say? Have you asked them?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    What does your contract say? Have you asked them?
                    They have come back to me now. They've incorrectly deducted for the weeks I didn't and so I am due a refund of the two weeks overcharged :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X