• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Assistance in putting together some information for MP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assistance in putting together some information for MP

Willing the normal trolls to stay out if possible.

I have been given an opportunity to put forward tax issues (IR35, new public sector guidelines for tax avoidance etc) relating to contractors to the treasury, through my local MP. We met socially today, and I'd already emailed her about the issues I have, but she's actually agreed to put forward any greviences we have about new tax guidance, and any legitimate suggestions for solutions. She has already agreed that blanket rulings are ill considered, and that we should be looked at differently, but that to take it forward, she needs to have some ideas about how to resolve it, and examples of how it affects us adversely.

She's asked me to put forward examples of how the current public sector guidance is hurting contracting, and allowing more bobs in (my words, not hers).

It is a golden opportunity to put something together, that would go to the treasury. Can anyone help me in this?

My current thoughts are that all public sector contracts are now thought to be inside IR35 and you have to prove otherwise. That the agent now has the obligation to report you to Hector if they think you are saying you are outside, but are inside IR35, as the agency now has to cover its arse, that you'd be mad to sign a new public sector contract.

I have explained that in most projects, of X years, rarely would a contractor be there for the entire duration, and that it's most common for contractors to spend 12-18 months on contract, before moving on, but now are looking to pay within IR35 for 3 months projects.

I am just rambling now, so really need some input. ANybody got any ideas they can put together?

For the tax issues contact SantaClaus or DonkeyRhubarb, I can't think of anyone better to help with this.

Tax retrospection is the most unfair aspect of HMRC and can hit anyone.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

mal would probably have some suggestions.

If this is serious, shouldn't it go in the professional forums?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

It's very serious, to be frank, and I think it's a great opportunity. She's promised to meet me once she's spoken to the treasury, and will involve me in any questions they raise and put forward any suggestions, if she believes they're sane.

Comment

WMS

Also there are a few decent threads on this issue in the professional forums and also on the sh*tty unrealistic business entity tests.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

contractors forgo the benefits of being a formal employee
            they should not be taxed as a formal employee (ie having to pay both sides of the NI )

anyone who gets the formal benefits is not a contractor

formal benefits being, paid holiday, paid sick, pension scheme, training, redundancy, working hours directives, other employee protection

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Good idea, duly moved.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                WMS

Also there are a few decent threads on this issue in the professional forums and also on the sh*tty unrealistic business entity tests.
                That's what has got a lot of people. It seems to miss the point slightly.

I can't seem to get the bloody search bit to work properly, can anyone suggest some links.

I think some real world examples on how this is affecting people would be good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                  It's very serious, to be frank, and I think it's a great opportunity. She's promised to meet me once she's spoken to the treasury, and will involve me in any questions they raise and put forward any suggestions, if she believes they're sane.
                  So you basically have to tell a bunch of civil servants who have limited experience of small businesses particularly those who do subcontracting work how, to do their jobs?
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Yep, but not tonight. Needs a little thought...
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X