• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blair Hijacks Scottish Racists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blair Hijacks Scottish Racists

Prime Minister Tony Blair has condemned attacks on a seven-year-old boy and 41-year-old man who were wearing England shirts in Scotland.
    The attacks in Edinburgh and Aberdeen are being treated as football-related racist assaults.

Primary schoolboy Hugo Clapshaw was punched in an Edinburgh park and disabled Ian Smith was attacked in his car in Aberdeen.

Mr Blair said such assaults were "appalling and totally unjustifiable".

Hugo told BBC Scotland: "I just felt this big whack and I started crying. His eyes looked very fierce."

Hugo, a New Zealander who has lived in Edinburgh for two years with his family, said: "He whacked me on the head very, very hard and it's left a big bruise.

"It was maybe because I had an England shirt on. He told my dad I should be supporting Scotland not England. It was serious because it was a big shock and very painful."
    Hugo still wants to wear his England top to support a British team
    Hugo had been playing with his family in Edinburgh's Inverleith Park on Saturday afternoon when he was punched by a man thought to be aged between 24 and 30.

His father Damon, 34, who was also assaulted, said the man had been wearing a Rangers top.

He said: "Hugo still wants to wear his England top to support a British team. He's a kilted Kiwi."

A spokesperson for Lothian and Borders Police described the attack as "cowardly and pathetic".

'Totally unprovoked'

In Aberdeen, Mr Smith was sitting in his parked car on Anderson Road when he was dragged from the vehicle and beaten up on Tuesday.

Mr Smith is a retired postman originally from Peterborough and has been in Aberdeen for about 12 years.

He struggled with his attacker and was left requiring treatment for injuries to his face.

Mr Smith said: "He was a psychopath, it was a totally unprovoked racist attack because I was wearing an England top and displaying an England flag."
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Originally posted by Troll
    Hugo told BBC Scotland: "I just felt this big whack and I started crying. His eyes looked very fierce.
    ******* bitter Jocks!

I'm Irish (by birth), and I know how racial the English can be, but for God's sakes! Any kid wearing the England shirt in (N or S) Ireland would get a bit of good natured joshing maybe, but never violence!

My wife is from Cardiff, and while the Welsh seem somewhat less mellow that the Irish, she and her mates go out with England shirts on and they don't even raise a comment (except for the generous proportions of their tits)!

What does that say about the Scots? Sour c^nts the lot of 'em.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I know NZ rugby fans who have been hassled in Dublin for carrying the NZ flag... which features the union flag
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

His father Damon, 34, who was also assaulted, said the man had been wearing a Rangers top.

At the age of 10 whilst walking down the street in Hamiltion in broad daylight a Rangers fan attacked me and tried to strangle me with his Rangers scarf as he knew I attented a Catholic school , he was only stopped by my frantic struggling and three of my schoolfriends who jumped on his back.

Justice was later administered to this certain Rangers fan by my furious Father who gave hime the bloodiest kicking imaginable, nice place Scotland , eh ?

But all said and done for once I agree with Blair , the entire affair is despicable.
        Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 21 June 2006, 14:19.

Comment

a few mindless idiots. Grow up guys

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
            I know NZ rugby fans who have been hassled in Dublin for carrying the NZ flag... which features the union flag
            Well, unlucky - there are nutters everywhere I suppose

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Torran
              a few mindless idiots. Grow up guys
              Oh yeah! I forgot about the myth of the "Tiny Minority"

In my experience, in a boozed up crowd of any nationality, things can turn tribal and nasty.

Some folk seem to be more predisposed to this behaviour than others.

The British (English, Welsh, Scots and Irish), as a whole, are pretty bad in this regard.

Open your eyes and look around you - then tell me to 'grow up'.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
                Oh yeah! I forgot about the myth of the "Tiny Minority"

In my experience, in a boozed up crowd of any nationality, things can turn tribal and nasty.

Some folk seem to be more predisposed to this behaviour than others.

The British (English, Welsh, Scots and Irish), as a whole, are pretty bad in this regard.

Open your eyes and look around you - then tell me to 'grow up'.
                who the **** are you preaching to

I'm not disputing any of the above as its blatantly obvious to anyone who has travelled the uk of any nationalty.

your comment "What does that say about the Scots? Sour c^nts the lot of 'em." on the other hand smacks of racism and a small enclosed mind so I repeat "grow up".

There are w*nkers in every nation.

Comment

Originally posted by Torran
                  who the **** are you preaching to

I'm not disputing any of the above as its blatantly obvious to anyone who has travelled the uk of any nationalty.

your comment "What does that say about the Scots? Sour c^nts the lot of 'em." on the other hand smacks of racism and a small enclosed mind so I repeat "grow up".

There are w*nkers in every nation.
                  So you're sweaty I take it?

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
                    So you're sweaty I take it?
                    can't help yourself can you?

Ahh its all clear now - Hard-bitten cynic, 30 years in IT

You are excused bogey
                    Last edited by Torran; 21 June 2006, 14:42.

Comment

Working...
                    X