• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Programmer productivity metrics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programmer productivity metrics

What is a good metric of productivity of programmers? I get the impression some of my dev team are slacking off and have asked the lead to send me a weekly report by developer of how many Lines Of Code each has written. However I am getting strong push back on this so I need an alternative.

What does the panel recommend. Also, what is so wrong with LOC as a metric. If I was running a potato factory I would want to know how many spuds each worker had peeled, same difference in my view.

Fecking prima donnas

Lots of lines of code does not always mean a good program. Once programmers realise you are doing this they will simply produce huge amounts of code whether it is a good idea or not.

Programmer productivity can be tricky to measure unless you have done it yourself.

A simply one character change might take a week to track down (a few weeks ago it took me 3 days to track down and work out where someone had missed out the letters 'el').
    A hundred line class could be knocked up in half an hour or even a couple of minutes if copied from the web.

Do you have automated testing? Could you track bugs fixed/caused per programmer?
    Do you record estimates and track progress against them?
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by BusinessAnalyst2012 View Post
      If I was running a potato factory

That sounds more your level.

Comment

I'll bite

This uses JavaScript, but any C-style language (C, Java, C#, etc.) will be the same:

Code:
        function resultOfTheAddingOfTwoAndTwo() {
            var a;
            var b;
            a = 2;
            b = 2;
            var c;
            c = a + b;
            return c;
        }

var r = resultOfTheAddingOfTwoAndTwo();
        print(r);
        is, by your metric, worth eleven times (twelve if we count the blank line) as much as:

Code:
        print(2 + 2);

Comment

Value of benefit realised / Cost of time worked.
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

What is a good metric of productivity of programmers? I get the impression some of my dev team are slacking off and have asked the lead to send me a weekly report by developer of how many Lines Of Code each has written. However I am getting strong push back on this so I need an alternative.

What does the panel recommend. Also, what is so wrong with LOC as a metric. If I was running a potato factory I would want to know how many spuds each worker had peeled, same difference in my view.

Fecking prima donnas
            Kick the fukwit out that is looking after them now and get someone that can do the job in his place IMO
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What is a good metric of productivity of programmers?
              Positive ROI from their work, that's the only metric that should matter.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Kick the fukwit out that is looking after them now and get someone that can do the job in his place IMO
                BA skulls caved in / week?
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

MyCo measures it in pounds. The more pounds I have the more productive I have been.

Lines of code is a bad metric because a bad programmer will write thousands of lines of tulip code that doesn't work. Then a good programmmer will come in and throw 90% of it away. You'd try and charge him for the privelege.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I've worked somewhere where the PM (old skool) had written a tool in Visual Basic to report how many lines of code each developer had written per week.

Was quite interesting when the business requirements had changed dramatically such that the weekly delta was negative

It's a tulipe metric

Comment

Working...
                    X