• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting round client's firewall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting round client's firewall

The Thought Police here stop us getting onto "mail" sites like Yahoo and hotmail, but AFAIK, there is a way round this if you go via another site or something like that(?)

Can anyone help?
    PS I know nothing about this new,pointy-clicky stuff, so please keep any explanations very simple.
    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Originally posted by Fleetwood
    The Thought Police here stop us getting onto "mail" sites like Yahoo and hotmail, but AFAIK, there is a way round this if you go via another site or something like that(?)

Can anyone help?
    PS I know nothing about this new,pointy-clicky stuff, so please keep any explanations very simple.

You do it by going via another server, known as a proxy. The trick is to find one that the filtering software doesnt already know about. Public proxys are well known and the web filtering companies regularly update their lists.

The most reliable way of doing it is to run your own proxy service on a PC at home, assuming you have a broadband connection and can leave a system running 24/7. Configure the proxy to only accept incoming connections from the gateway address of your clients site so noone else can use it and you should be sorted.

Squid is probably the best of the bunch, and the one I use when I come across this problem, but may be a little complicated if you dont want all the bells and whistles. A quick google for "free proxy server windows" should get you some relavent solutions.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

If the company blocks access to external proxies, run an ssh server on your home system & then ssh out from the client's site & tunnel the proxy port.

Or so i've heard

Comment

Can anyone help?
        I've Terminal Server'd to my machines at home when I used to work on client sites on the pretense of work issues. Great to run full hardcore in front of perms to their amazement...
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I don't have a computer at home, cos my flat's too small for a mainframe, and the firewall here blocks access to sites giving list of proxy servers. What can I do now?

Comment

I don't have a computer at home, cos my flat's too small for a mainframe, and the firewall here blocks access to sites giving list of proxy servers. What can I do now?
            Bring in a copy of Razzle?
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

dial-up to an ISP ?
              Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
                Bring in a copy of Razzle?
                "Razzle" really doesn't do anything for me.
                More of a "Cream Orgy" man, myself.

Comment

Get a GPRS Cardbus card and a loan to pay for the bandwidth.
                  Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Depends how important it is for you to access you email during working hours.

Think most of the options have been covered:
                    • search as suggested for an open proxy/anonymizer, hoping that it won't be/become one of those on the company's list
                    • use dial-up, if the company phone system allows this
                    • access your email via GPRS/POP3, and just download the headers to sort out the flotsam and jetsam so it doesn't cost too much
                    • look for a email hosting subscription which does email aggregation and allows access via their server
                    • pay out a few readies and set up something like DaveB suggested at home

"I don't have a computer at home"

Fleetwood, you do have a computer, don't you?
                    Last edited by Joe Black; 21 June 2006, 19:13.

Comment

Working...
                    X