• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Technology Journos on the BBC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technology Journos on the BBC

How is this worthy of an article.

Bloke buys webcam and uses its standard functionality for what it was intended for.

BBC News - Dad builds video baby monitor

Mr Plumridge, a self-confessed "geek" in his spare time, thinks he has perfected his video monitor system - and he says it cost him just £50.

"It's all free apart from the camera itself," he said.

Mr Plumridge has rigged up his monitor for friends as a favour and has blogged about how he did it, but he doesn't intend to enter the market.

FFS!

PS: I have a similar camera to keep an eye on the pooch. I also have no intention of entering the market.

Geeks are from Mars and People are from Earth.

remember that.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      FFS!

PS: I have a similar camera to keep an eye on the pooch. I also have no intention of entering the market.
      I've got two. When my flat had two mouse infestations (one based around the fireplace in the living room, and one apparently using a conduit for pipes in the kitchen) I rigged them up so I could observe their habits, thus ensuring optimal trap and poison placement.

I even put them online as VerminCam 1 and VerminCam 2, but it never occurred to me that I could get BBC News round to write about them

(The last of the mice was killed off months ago, but the cameras are still there, in case I want to have a look down the back of my pedal bin while I'm in the pub.)

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        I even put them online as VerminCam 1 and VerminCam 2, but it never occurred to me that I could get BBC News round to write about them
        You missed a trick there.

You should have got us all tweeting about it and every one in or related to IT retweeting it, then the Beeb would have picked it up as an "interesting" story a week later.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It's currently #2 on the most shared list.

You plug it in at the mains, pop in a network cable, whack the CD in and follow the very simple instructions.

The guy's a genius.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            You plug it in at the mains, pop in a network cable, whack the CD in and follow the very simple instructions.
            The VerminCams have wifi

Comment

The VerminCams have wifi
              To be fair, you did need the LAN cable to configure the wifi bit.

The camera's aren't bad for what they cost. Even sends an email when it detects motion so I know to have a nosey.

Comment

... the cameras are still there, in case I want to have a look down the back of my pedal bin while I'm in the pub.
                Makes a change from "Do you want to see my etchings?"

Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

The VerminCams have wifi
                  You still have the vermins?
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The VerminCams have wifi
                    Set one up as a titcam. Much nicer. Must clean out my box before winter.

Comment

Working...
                    X