• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do soldiers have a 'right to life'?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do soldiers have a 'right to life'?

Court to consider whether soldiers have 'right to life' - Telegraph

When my brother joined 1para I told him he was joining to die. Do we have to wrap our soldiers in cotton wool? Obviously its a huge tragedy when a soldier or anyone dies - but its a risky job.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Court to consider whether soldiers have 'right to life' - Telegraph

When my brother joined 1para I told him he was joining to die. Do we have to wrap our soldiers in cotton wool? Obviously its a huge tragedy when a soldier or anyone dies - but its a risky job.
    It's what I say, just like when that ace job come up that matches your skill set perfectly, then it says Iraq or Afghanistan, u say no. Says yes and you might get killed. I can't see it - don't go!

Soldiers have guns, both sides, you might get killed, I wouldn't join now not for all the tea in China...

Comment

I'm sorry some of the people lose limbs and cannot wipe their arse for the rest of their life but don't ever tell me these people are somehow heroes as is presented these days.

Comment

every tragedy is a casualty , obv
        but the risks are actually quite low

1 a week or thereabouts. more squaddies die of ingrowing toenails or liver damage

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Surely war by definition is outside the law, otherwise we'd be prosecuting soldiers for murder. If you sign up, then you've accepted that you might have to kill people if ordered to do so, and that other people might (quite reasonably) try to kill you.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Surely war by definition is outside the law, otherwise we'd be prosecuting soldiers for murder. If you sign up, then you've accepted that you might have to kill people if ordered to do so, and that other people might (quite reasonably) try to kill you.
            War is fought within the rules of the "Law".

Jus ad bellum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_war
            Last edited by SupremeSpod; 10 November 2012, 21:44.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Theres loads of people out there who want to kill you vectraman.

dont you realise that ?

and you havn't even signed up

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

We all have the same right to life and we all take some risks going about our lives.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I think, when you join the forces, accepting that your life may be at risk is part of the deal.

But you're still entitled to expect that every safety precaution will be taken - so if shortage of proper equipment, or crap decision making, or lack of care contribute to that death, IMO your family should be entitled to some redress.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    I'm sorry some of the people lose limbs and cannot wipe their arse for the rest of their life but don't ever tell me these people are somehow heroes as is presented these days.
                    Who is a hero then?
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X