• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you change contracting for expat-ing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you change contracting for expat-ing?

Hi everybody,

I have just returned from Bangkok where I have spent the last 6 weeks working for my Client. The managers there were very pleased with my work, and I got on very well with the engineering team which work for and with me for the duration of the project.

Before leaving I was told there were discussions about me being offered an expat package if I was interested, and of course I said I was interested in good opportunities and that I would not reject anything without first having a look at it.

I am very happy contracting in the UK, however the expat package seems quite interesting and I am confused and not sure what to do. Basically if you were offered your current salary (with this I mean what you invoice your Client every month) + 25% on top and this amount to be paid to you after tax, would you go with it? On top the obvious benefits of 2 return flights home a year + healthcare + pension + 3000 dollars a month for accommodation, which in Bangkok gives you quite a nice pad.

It is a big change but it seems way too good to turn down. FYI I am single with no kids.

I know Bangkok has the best and the worst within the same city. Traffic is a nightmare but I seemed to manage to get around with the BTS and taxis. There are no sidewalks and lots of beggars in the streets. However I liked the weather, I enjoyed the rooftop pools, posh gyms, shopping centers, cinemas and the rest...

So would you?
    Last edited by Segush; 10 November 2012, 20:11.

Originally posted by Segush View Post
    Hi everybody,

I have just returned from Bangkok where I have spent the last 6 weeks working for my Client. The managers there were very pleased with my work, and I got on very well with the engineering team which work for and with me for the duration of the project.

Before leaving I was told there were discussions about me being offered an expat package if I was interested, and of course I said I was interested in good opportunities and that I would not reject anything without first having a look at it.

I am very happy contracting in the UK, however the expat package seems quite interesting and I am confused and not sure what to do. Basically if you were offered your current salary (with this I mean what you invoice your Client every month) + 25% on top and this amount to be paid to you after tax, would you go with it? On top the obvious benefits of 2 return flights home a year + healthcare + pension + 3000 dollars a month for accommodation, which in Bangkok gives you quite a nice pad.

It is a big change but it seems way too good to turn down. FYI I am single with no kids.

I know Bangkok has the best and the worst within the same city. Traffic is a nightmare but I seemed to manage to get around with the BTS and taxis. There are no sidewalks and lots of beggars in the streets. However I liked the weather, I enjoyed the rooftop pools, posh gyms, shopping centers, cinemas and the rest...

So would you?
    In your situation - Yes
    With three young kids - No
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

You'd better get tested.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

You need to ask?
        Me, me, me...

Comment

if you were offered your current salary (with this I mean what you invoice your Client every month) + 25% on top and this amount to be paid to you after tax, would you go with it? On top the obvious benefits of 2 return flights home a year + healthcare + pension + 3000 dollars a month for accommodation, which in Bangkok gives you quite a nice pad.
          Of course I would - and it seems you'll enjoy it and it's not like yu'll be forbidden from quitting should you change your mind again?
          Also, one day, you may find that you like the culture and everything enough to consider having a family there, in which case you're set...

Comment

How many yes or no answers do you need to sway you either way?

Comment

So would you?
              Maybe.

Maybe not.

Then again...
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

There are a few more strangers I need to ask before I decide...

Comment

So would you?

Yes. You've got no commitments and they want to pay you good money to live like a king in a booming region of the world with great weather to boot. Why are you even asking?

GTF over there.
                  You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

If I was younger, freer and singler, like a shot.

Comment

Working...
                    X