• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for lady cyclists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for lady cyclists

That'll be Dallas then

I'm doing my Christmas list.

Is there any real advantage in getting a ladies' bike rather than a men's?

Much more choice of men's frame - apart from the pinker colour scheme, is there any reason to go for a ladies specific model?

I'm 5'7" and always ridden a man's bike (with a girl's saddle) -what am I missing?

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I'm 5'7" and always ridden a man's bike (with a girl's saddle) -what am I missing?
    A basket on the front and a little bell?

Comment

Is there any real advantage in getting a ladies' bike rather than a men's?
      Less likely to be stolen?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        A basket on the front and a little bell?
        No, I've got those.

Comment

How often do you ride wearing a skirt or dress?
          "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Less likely to be stolen?
            My new bike, should santa oblige, will be a nice road bike - not one that I'm going to leave locked up outside Aldi.

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
              How often do you ride wearing a skirt or dress?
              I'm not really after the Miss Marple look.

Comment

Have an ask on bike radar. Better advice there I'd say...
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I did some research on this and the only conclusion I came up with is get what fits you best

Edited to say: Often with sports specific clothes i.e. jackets, t-shirts I just buy men's because they are cheaper, there is a bigger variety and they fit. I often wear mens' sports shoes as well again because they are cheaper, there is a bigger variety and fit. Plus proper sports clothing and shoes comes in a variety of sizes, widths etc. and with men's you can avoid just having pink and blue.

With a bike I got a women's one but I had hassle finding one I liked and that would fit. There as if I just brought a mens' one I could have avoided the hassle as I have ridden bikes of blokes I know that fitted.
                  Last edited by SueEllen; 11 November 2012, 18:58.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm not really after the Miss Marple look.
                    From Wikipedia:

Step-throughs were popular partly for practical reasons and partly for social mores of the day. For most of the history of bicycles' popularity women have worn long skirts, and the lower frame accommodated these better than the top-tube. Furthermore it was considered "unladylike" for women to open their legs to mount and dismount - in more conservative times women who rode bicycles at all were vilified as immoral or immodest. These practices were akin to the older practice of riding horse sidesaddle.
                    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Working...
                    X