• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I become a farmer, like?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I become a farmer, like?

I'm quite green-fingered around the garden.
    And come the economic conflagration, farmers will be the only ones to prosper.
    I'll need some hired guns though ...
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I'm quite green-fingered around the garden.
    I'll need some hired guns though ...
    Start with an allotment as well as a garden; that way you'll learn about dealing with multiple crops and fields; maybe volunteer at a childrens' farm to learn a bit about livestock. Or keep some chickens and rabbits.

If you can get through 2 years without starving, you're on the way but don't expect much.

I know a guy who's selling this;

http://farmingthecity.net/?p=253
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Well you're used to being surrounded by vegetables, so yeah, go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Well you're used to being surrounded by vegetables, so yeah, go for it.
        Not really, I'm only logged on here some of the time...
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Its hard work, but enjoyable, more so if you're retired.

You have to plan the crops year round. Get Ducks and Turkeys, as they are easier to kill (if you have ever owned a duck you'll understand this). If you get chickens, only get enough for the eggs you eat, as pretty soon, you have too many chickens, and too many eggs. If you are serious about it, there are some good books and forums to help. If you dont butcher your own animals, the costs work about the same as a super market animal, but if you butcher yourself, you get to better tasting food, cheaper too.

Planning is the key though, so you always have some food coming up. Poly tunnel a must.

Comment

sadguru's farming -

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Only if the UK is still in the EU so the farmers can still get their subsidies...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
              X