• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shocked beyond belief

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocked beyond belief

Shock jump in UK inflation to 2.7pc - Telegraph

What sort of super human mind could ever had foreseen this happening?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Shock jump in UK inflation to 2.7pc - Telegraph

What sort of super human mind could ever had foreseen this happening?

Still seems low, so I suspect the figures are being massaged as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
      It's based mostly on last years fashion items, which funnily enough always seem to get cheaper.

One day they might include rents, fuel, food that sort of stuff people have no real use for.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
        Looks very high to me - given that the economy is flatlining. I suppose its the result of QE.

However I reckon the government would prefer high inflation. Get rid of debt.

Comment

Ultimately it comes down to how much money they're printing. I suspect it's a lot higher than 2.7%, certainly feels like it.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            It's based mostly on last years fashion items, which funnily enough always seem to get cheaper.

One day they might include rents, fuel, food that sort of stuff people have no real use for.
            Originally posted by Robinho View Post
            Ultimately it comes down to how much money they're printing. I suspect it's a lot higher than 2.7%, certainly feels like it.
            Good to see we've got the A-team on the case.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Do you disagree that it ultimately comes down to the monitory base?

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                Do you disagree that it ultimately comes down to the monitory base?
                I'm unsure what exactly what base is monitoring, but going back to your earlier point about printing money...

Printing money / money supply has an effect on inflation. Other factors have an effect on inflation - global commodity prices for example. It is simplistic and inaccurate to say that it ultimately comes down to one thing or the other. The world is more complex.

But carry on as you were.
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                  I'm unsure what exactly what base is monitoring what, but going back to your earlier point about printing money...

Printing money / money supply has an effect on inflation. Other factors have an effect on inflation - global commodity prices for example. It is simplistic and inaccurate to say that it ultimately comes down to one thing or the other. The world is more complex.

Another one up to their eyes in debt, glad for the QE to keep their debt cheap I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
                    I'm unsure what exactly what base is monitoring, but going back to your earlier point about printing money...

That is my point. Short term there are a lot of factors, long term it will come down to the monitory base.

Comment

Working...
                    X