• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is internet access a right?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is internet access a right?

Internet access is a right, judges rule - Telegraph

Though I am amazed this bloke got a community order.
    Yes
    13.33%
    No
    60.00%
    Its only right for viewing piccies of AndyW's grandma.
    26.67%

if you can afford to pay for it you can have it..

if not you cannot.....

or are we now going to start letting the chavs have free internet access?

Comment

actually just read the story...

wtf how did he have access to a 14 year old girls shower in the first place....

frikin weird

Comment

There doesn't appear to be anything about the ruling that says it's a "right": that's a spin the journalist has put on it. Note the careful choice of words: "…a ruling that effectively renders access to the internet as a human right" - not "the court said that it is a human right".

In fact, the court said "Nowadays it is entirely unreasonable to ban anybody from accessing the internet in their home". No mention of "a human right", but the Torygraph know that dragging the words "human right" in will push a few buttons with their readership. They might as well say that having a toilet in one's home is "a human right"; it's certainly entirely unreasonable to ban anybody from having a bog, but we all know that doesn't make having one the kind of "human right" whose granting so inflames the mob.

Comment

Michael Jackson was convicted of using a secret camera to film a 14-year-old girl in the shower and banned from accessing the internet.
          Cha'mon!
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            There doesn't appear to be anything about the ruling that says it's a "right": that's a spin the journalist has put on it. Note the careful choice of words: "…a ruling that effectively renders access to the internet as a human right" - not "the court said that it is a human right".

In fact, the court said "Nowadays it is entirely unreasonable to ban anybody from accessing the internet in their home". No mention of "a human right", but the Torygraph know that dragging the words "human right" in will push a few buttons with their readership. They might as well say that having a toilet in one's home is "a human right"; it's certainly entirely unreasonable to ban anybody from having a bog, but we all know that doesn't make having one the kind of "human right" whose granting so inflames the mob.
            You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to NickFitz again.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              The facts of the case
              Once again NF ruins a perfectly good thread by bring data and logic up.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Once again NF ruins a perfectly good thread by bring data and logic up.....
                ...just as England's middle classes were spluttering their latte over their screens and steaming out of their ears. Nick, England's middle classes enjoy being stressed out by their newspapers, don't deny them that simple pleasure!
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

How can something be a right that you need equipment to access? Will access to free computers/smart phones become a right first?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

His lawyers argued that the SOPO imposed by the Crown Court judge - which he said should last until the day Jackson died - was unnecessary and disproportionate.
                    If they had asked for it for a fixed period then I suspect they would have been granted it.

replacing it with an order that he simply make his internet history available for viewing by the police.

I would suggest the order should have been for period of the sentence and the monitoring until death.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X