• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the point of professional qualifications?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the point of professional qualifications?

Four interviews in a row, perm and contract I need to complete client based tests, ranging from 20 minutes to half a flipping day.

Does this mean taking time and effort to pass ISTQB, ISEB, IKM and OGC certified exams are a waste of space??

There is absolutely nothing, nada, stuff all contracting in my area just now apart from a major firm who advised the agent I was too good and would make the test manager on the project feel uncomfortable. Understandable for a permie job, but contracting you surely want the best that there is?!?

Seriously tempted to take a nice local job for mid 30's for a few years which I can quite literally cycle to instead of chasing down contracts that are not in existance.

Is the gamble of seeing how things are on the contract market in the new year one that is worth taking these days, like it was in the old days?

Local contracts seem to be around the pro-rata 45K mark which is making me feel that it is not worth the faff.

It is clear that firms are now wanting their testers to be hybrid developers - eg, I am being asked not just for experience of having testing on c#, but need to have actual development coding skills.

It is scary out there......

It is scarey, and good luck.

I never saw the need for professional qualis, and I never needed them. It's always been experience, blind em with science, sheer good luck, or desperation on their part .

how the hell a youngster , with big commitments, is supposed to cope with all this , is beyond me

balls of steel and a fck em attitude , I suppose

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

My degree < fck all

Online applications > 5 pages = binned

If a CV + references doesn't cut it and a 20 minute tech interview I don't want to work for them.

Carry on
      Me, me, me...

Comment

TM is looking for some TA's http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-analysts.html

granted its Hellifax but at least its not Leeds and would give you a decent start point (again).
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I have got none qualies in IT!!

I went on a VMware ESX 4.0 fastrack course - five days, 7:00am till 7:00pm, each day, load of bollocks compared to PowerVM on IBM hardware, just rubbish and I did listen! Anyway, that's it...

No-one ever asks, I always say my training is on the hardware, I have an IBM pSeries, Sun T2000, and a Sun X4200 in the shed (posh shed) running 24/7, that's my training, can login from site usually, try it there first...

Joking apart I learn more from that amazing technology stack humming aways in my State-of-Art-Shed-Env than any course I haven't been on.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            I have got none qualies in ENGLISH!!
            FTFY

Comment

Where you based? I think we are looking for test monkeys, PM me
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Where you based? I think we are looking for test monkeys, PM me
                Wilmslow would be my guess.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  TM is looking for some TA's http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-analysts.html

granted its Hellifax but at least its not Leeds and would give you a decent start point (again).
                  Don't think he's fancying it. the Test Manager is making HIM uncomfortable
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
                    FTFY
                    Ok smart boy, ur shed pics and tech stack therein, show us. Bet it's a Hayter Hayterette crappy two stroke lawnmower and not a decent bit of Unix bit anywhere...

Or any model railway stuff u've hidden from the missus.... I've got loads stashed away there....

Mum said it's bed time now - night....

Comment

Working...
                    X