PDA

View Full Version : Return of Third Class Rail

BlasterBates
14th November 2012, 08:02
....which will be great for the plebs...

Return of third class: Rail companies draw up controversial plans to reintroduce another tier of service on trains (so how bad will that be?) | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2232481/Return-class-Rail-companies-draw-controversial-plans-reintroduce-tier-service-trains-bad-be.html)

Anyone care to admit they will be travelling third class in the future...

Mich the Tester
14th November 2012, 08:12
....which will be great for the plebs...

Return of third class: Rail companies draw up controversial plans to reintroduce another tier of service on trains (so how bad will that be?) | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2232481/Return-class-Rail-companies-draw-controversial-plans-reintroduce-tier-service-trains-bad-be.html)

Anyone care to admit they will be travelling third class in the future...

This doesn't look bad actually;

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/13/article-2232481-16035EBF000005DC-803_634x515.jpg

SupremeSpod
14th November 2012, 08:14
There'd have to be a compelling reason to get me on a train in the first place!

BrilloPad
There are 3 classes on planes - at least for long haul. So I don't see what the fuss is about.

Halo Jones
It’s not actually 3rd class travel, rather a 3rd option (premium standard) very much like the airlines do already.

As ever the media has twisted it to suit headlines. :eyes

Personally depending on the charge v benefits I may consider it.

Mich the Tester
14th November 2012, 08:20
It doesn't point out that Standard Class already is Third Class.

It was 2nd Class that was abolished in 1956.I think they assumed people would have forgotten that by now. They didn't reckon on ZG.

BlasterBates
14th November 2012, 08:26
I'm looking forward to strutting through the third class carriage and distributing condescending looks to the plebs, whilst ensuring my second class ticket is prominently displayed in my top pocket.

cailin maith
14th November 2012, 08:34
I'm looking forward to strutting through the third class carriage and distributing condescending looks to the plebs, whilst ensuring my second class ticket is prominently displayed in my top pocket.

Hi Sas .... oh.

fullyautomatix
14th November 2012, 09:44
It doesn't point out that Standard Class already is Third Class.

It was 2nd Class that was abolished in 1956.

Cant they just get rid of the seats and pack us all in like cattle ? Ohh, also charge double what they charge now for the privilege. Should be easy, just bribe a few MP's and job is done.

Mich the Tester
14th November 2012, 09:46
Cant they just get rid of the seats and pack us all in like cattle ? Ohh, also charge double what they charge now for the privilege. Should be easy, just bribe a few MP's and job is done.

Why not have a standing room only carriage that's free for 18-25 year old women and charge men a premium to travel in it?

d000hg
14th November 2012, 09:46
Travelling with XC last week, their "first class" struck me very much as "premium economy":

Nicer seats
WiFi and power sockets
Free hot drinks in paper cups
Free food was a choice between one type of sandwich and one type of microwaved meal in a plastic pot, with disposable cutlery
No free booze
Other operators are FAR better - real crockery and cutlery, waiter service, etc. I was pretty disappointed. Especially since I had 2 9-hour trips the same week, with the exact same food options (although to be fair the chilli was actually quite nice).

It's such a shame because rail travel can be wonderful. We did a train across the USA with proper little sleeping cabins, and a proper buffet car where they actually cooked food from scratch - better than the average UK restaurant even!

teclo
14th November 2012, 10:01
I thought Third class was the unreserved coach on Virgin Trains :( Sometimes booking a ticket from Glasgow to MK it won't let me reserve a seat. That is incredibly annoying.

AtW
14th November 2012, 11:33
It’s not actually 3rd class travel, rather a 3rd option (premium standard) very much like the airlines do already.

Premium standard would be getting a reserved seat in standard class? :laugh

d000hg
14th November 2012, 11:35
3rd class is the vestibule surely; they are normally full of people.

Sysman
14th November 2012, 12:13

They already did that on the slow commuter trains.