• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outplacement counselling and support

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outplacement counselling and support

I am eligable for Outplacement counselling.

Thought this was usually for senior management level only?

Could be an interesting and either illuminating, or entertaining process, so may as well make the most of it.

Have a new job if I want it starting mid December, so still got plenty of time to assess things before jumping into my nexr role, or not as the case may be!

Anyone used outplacement support, and what did you think of it?

Originally posted by Gruffalo View Post
    I am eligable for Outplacement counselling.

Thought this was usually for senior management level only?
    No, senior management gets massive "golden parachutes" (very large payoffs) - you get Outplacement counselling.

It's only fair.

HTH

Comment

Sigh, I was eligible. Went along for a days course with a bunch of whinging secretarial types and a nice bloke from British Gas, the only non LBG type there. Spent the majority of the day hoping one of the planes whistling over to Leeds-Bradford would land on the building and put me out of my misery.

I would hope that the courses which address specific skills gaps are significantly better than this generic 'so you've been sacked, it's not the end of the world' type thing. I wasn't hanging around on the bench to find out though.

If you've got spare time, and it's paid for.... why not go along? Best case scenario - there might be some lap dancers also got laid off. Worst case scenario - it's a free lunch and gets you out for a bit...

Comment

wtf is outplacement counselling???
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
          wtf is outplacement counselling???
          WCS.

Please explain to us who have not been "fortunate" to go through this.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            WCS.

Here be the blurb.......

Outplacement Services

We work on an individual basis with senior executives who are looking to make their next major career move.

We offer a fully tailored package to suit each individual which includes:

Resume development
            Psychometric Assessment
            Numerical & Verbal reasoning assessment
            Interview techniques
            Video practice sessions
            Company & role targeting & contact
            Weekly vacancy search
            Fully managed research capability
            “Insider” tips on the recruitment process
            Full ongoing support until you find the perfect role
            The programme includes 45 hours of one-to-one development, training and counselling sessions with one of our partners who have backgrounds from organisations such as Nestle, Premier Foods, Sara Lee, Mars, Quaker and Princes. They will have a full understanding of both your industry and your requirements, and they will be supported by a team who will develop, provide and mail all marketing material, coupled with a full research and cv development capability.

We target that all sessions will be held within a 40-minute drive from your home-base.

Comment

Here be the blurb.......

Outplacement Services

We work on an individual basis with senior executives who are looking to make their next major career move.

We offer a fully tailored package to suit each individual which includes:

Resume development
              Psychometric Assessment
              Numerical & Verbal reasoning assessment
              Interview techniques
              Video practice sessions
              Company & role targeting & contact
              Weekly vacancy search
              Fully managed research capability
              “Insider” tips on the recruitment process
              Full ongoing support until you find the perfect role
              The programme includes 45 hours of one-to-one development, training and counselling sessions with one of our partners who have backgrounds from organisations such as Nestle, Premier Foods, Sara Lee, Mars, Quaker and Princes. They will have a full understanding of both your industry and your requirements, and they will be supported by a team who will develop, provide and mail all marketing material, coupled with a full research and cv development capability.

We target that all sessions will be held within a 40-minute drive from your home-base.
              I see - when you are fed up of being a HR "professional" for a food company you run training courses where you tell people who have been "outplaced" how to get another job.

It's only really useful for people who haven't had another job for 3 or more years.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                WCS.

It's what companies sometimes do to their redundant employees to help them back into the employment market, possibly 30 years after they last had to apply for a job. You'll be referred to a 3rd party organisation who will work on your cv, show you how to use linked in to find work, advise on setting up businesses, provide office space if needed etc etc.

It was these that I saw, there may be others? Penna

As far as LBG were concerned, the higher up the tree you were, the more credits you got. It's that kind of an employer. I suspect it was really just a bone thrown to the unions to keep a lid on their impotent hot air/give them something to take their remaining members (both of them) to show how good they are.

Comment

maybe it's the lack of sleep, but isn't this a permie offering? and doesn't it equate to the following?:

Resume development - cv tweaking
                  Psychometric Assessment - they tell you if you're mad
                  Numerical & Verbal reasoning assessment - but that you can speak the queens
                  Interview techniques - strong handshake, look them in the eyes, speak slower than you think you should
                  Video practice sessions - errrr?? for looking good on skype??
                  Company & role targeting & contact - you get an agent of sorts
                  Weekly vacancy search - who sends you some links to jobsearch
                  Fully managed research capability - who adds a google search result text to the above job search
                  “Insider” tips on the recruitment process - they tell you that your role is highly prized but there's not many around right now
                  Full ongoing support until you find the perfect role - they call you reguarly to see if you've found work to gain contacts for their other fish errr clients

- they have previous failed agents who have phone numbers from the above clients

We target that all sessions will be held within a 40-minute drive from your home-base. - they are everywhere
                  I can do that, sounds like a great plan b, how much did it cost the company to send you to this?
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                    maybe it's the lack of sleep, but isn't this a permie offering? and doesn't it equate to the following?:
                    in a nutshell.

Comment

Working...
                    X