PDA

View Full Version : On the Bench....

wurzel
15th November 2012, 09:46
Since last Thursday, in fact. First time in 2 years.

Picked up some good skills in my last role (WPF, MVC4, WF etc) but I have to say the world ain't exactly beating a path to my door. Just lots of calls about permie roles.

still, it's early days & plenty of opportunity to do all those DIY tasks I've neglected for the past 2 years.

Anyone else finding the market slow?

DimPrawn
15th November 2012, 09:49
2 years of work, you not fancy taking 3 months off (November, December, Jan are usually slooow) and just doing something interesting/travel/do a really hard jigsaw?

alreadypacked
15th November 2012, 09:56

Picked up some good skills in my last role (WPF, MVC4, WF etc) but I have to say the world ain't exactly beating a path to my door. Just lots of calls about permie roles.

still, it's early days & plenty of opportunity to do all those DIY tasks I've neglected for the past 2 years.

Bussy in Dublin at the moment, due to roll-off next week. 4 phone interviews this week.

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/technology/2012/09/19/startups-global-cities.fortune/5.html

wurzel
15th November 2012, 10:00
2 years of work, you not fancy taking 3 months off (November, December, Jan are usually slooow) and just doing something interesting/travel/do a really hard jigsaw?

Plan is to do that in the new year. Just need to find a 2/3 monther to get me there.

suityou01
15th November 2012, 10:41

Thats exactly how I'm finding the market mate. :(

alreadypacked
15th November 2012, 10:59
Thats exactly how I'm finding the market mate. :(

UK is on it's way down, everyone is just looking at how much their house is worth and thinks they are ok.

Rolling down the hill, if they allow the speed down hill to build, there will be a hard land.

BlasterBates
15th November 2012, 14:16
Absolutely....me too.

Best chill out and wait for the New Year.

alreadypacked
15th November 2012, 14:37
Absolutely....me too.

Sorry to tell you, but there will be no New Year, just a worse version of Last Year.

AtW
15th November 2012, 14:48
Absolutely....me too.

Be cool -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMV_r4LjQIo

nomadd
15th November 2012, 16:26

Yes, it's slow. And the agents and clients are all time-wasting asshats: "Please can you just take our online test..?" Er, no, f-u-c-k off. Next.

Six months on the bench for me. But then again, after a straight 2.5 year stint at the last gig (IB), I simply don't care. Thinking about getting back into contracting in the New Year - about Spring time.

vetran
15th November 2012, 22:44
"Please can you just take our online test..?" Er, no, f-u-c-k off. Next.

Just tell them , "I'll get my Butler to do it."

Paddy
16th November 2012, 06:47

Yep, same here. Can't even get any direct contracts with clients. Had an interesting chat with an agent. He said clients are wasting his time by asking for CVs when they have no intention of taking on contractors until the new year.