• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice Periods & deducting lost margin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice Periods & deducting lost margin

Hi Community,

This is my first post so please be gentle.... I have a situation with an agency I have not worked with before as they were on a PSL for the client I was working at, Basically my contract came to a natural and my client served me notice which on both sides is currently 4 weeks.

My client has allowed me time to attend interviews and also given consent to finish early if I secure another contract, which I have. My new client wants me to start straight away on Monday which is 11 days earlier than my offical end date.

I served early notice to my agency and they have come back telling me that a clause in my T&C's can be invoked to recover the loss of margin and it will be deducted from my final invoice which I feel is totally unfair. My question is, if both parties i.e. myself as supplier and the client that I work for on site agree to an early termination, can the agency invoke this clause?

Thanks

Mark

Originally posted by mbakercctech View Post
    I served early notice to my agency and they have come back telling me that a clause in my T&C's can be invoked to recover the loss of margin and it will be deducted from my final invoice which I feel is totally unfair. My question is, if both parties i.e. myself as supplier and the client that I work for on site agree to an early termination, can the agency invoke this clause?
    It's definitely a tulipty clause for them to have in the contract. I would be inclined to withdraw the termination notice and then just have an agreement with the client that you don't work or bill for those last few days. Effectively the same thing but it defeats the agency's penalty clause.

How much is their margin? If they are on the PSL then it's probably only 3-7% of your income so it may not be worth fighting over.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

ha! What a crock.

post the clause so you can get a more informed reply.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
        It's definitely a tulipty clause for them to have in the contract. I would be inclined to withdraw the termination notice and then just have an agreement with the client that you don't work or bill for those last few days. Effectively the same thing but it defeats the agency's penalty clause.
        WHS assuming you have the "client is not obliged to provide work" clause.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by mbakercctech View Post
          Just to pick up on this... There are not 'both parties'... There are 3 parties involved you have to consider. Your contract is with the agency not the client. Haven't digested the thread to comment but never forget this else nothing will make sense.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In my experience I got the client to threaten to remove them from the PSL. This seemed to have the desired effect.
            Blood in your poo

Comment

How about if your sick for the next 11 days?
              Or does the margin clause cover sickness as well?

Atleast you will get to find out what their margin is. I have always wondered..

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                In my experience I got the client to threaten to remove them from the PSL. This seemed to have the desired effect.
                That's a good one. Have a talk to the agency and say you are unhappy with what they are trying to do. If they won't back down then drop it into the conversation that you will go and discuss it with the client and see what they think. That normally sends the agencies ballistic because it exposes them as a bunch of nasty pricks to the client.

Originally posted by lithium147 View Post
                How about if your sick for the next 11 days?
                Or does the margin clause cover sickness as well?
                Or holidays...
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                X