• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What sort of bread do you eat?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What sort of bread do you eat?

I was recently reading about the Chorleywood process of bread making which for decades has given us the uniform plastic wrapped bread which makes up the bulk of what's available on supermarket shelves, even the store baked crusty loaf is probably produced by the same method. More yeast than traditionaly made bread as well as added chemicals doesn't make it the tastiest or perhaps even the healthiest of breads.

I remember a thread on here a while back about breadmakers and it seems a few on here preferred to bake their own. I use mine to knead the dough but finish by hand and for soda bread I do it by hand.

So, over to the panel. What do you prefer and why? Would you make your own for economic / taste reasons or is it too much of a faff? Would you pay a bit more for tastier, traditionally made bread?
    Me, me, me...

Rye bread from Waitrose, very nice...

Comment

Burgen from Asda.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Too many breads to prefer only one but some favourites are:-

Soda Bread

Baltic/Russian Bread

Stone baked flat bread in a wood oven
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I was a bit shocked by the price of bread when I came to Switzerland, but on reflection it wasn't much more expensive than bread from a traditional privately owned bakery in the UK. UK supermarkets have for a long time sold bread and milk cheaply to get housewives into the shop.

I have half a dozen varieties to go at but my preference is what is known as Hausbrot (house bread). Loaves here are sold by weight. The occasional foray into Germany gives a bit more choice.

A decent lump of a gazillion types of Swiss, French or Italian cheese, or just for a change some mature cheddar goes well.

The joke here in Switzerland is that you can take a slice of white British bread and roll it into a small ball between your fingertips.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Buttered?!
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              The joke here in Switzerland is that you can take a slice of white British bread and roll it into a small ball between your fingertips.
              It just turns back into the dough it started from when you do that.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Don't eat bread.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                  Don't eat bread.
                  Don't eat factory produced bread. It's a staple around the world and until it gets tampered with it's healthy and tasty.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

To clarify...

I don't eat bread.

Comment

Working...
                    X