• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which One Would You Go For - Alfa or Merc ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which One Would You Go For - Alfa or Merc ?

Decided to change 9 yr old Merc and looking at either newer model or something slightly different and more sporty. I do 400 miles per week mainly motorway/dual carriageway -

Merc CLK
    2009 32k miles £13,500
    Approved Used 2009 MERCEDES-BENZ CLK200 KOMPRESSOR in Tonbridge for sale

Alfa Romeo Giulietta
    2010 (60) 13k miles £13000
    Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.4 TB MULTIAIR LUSSO 5DR..BIG SPEC 170 BHP.. 2010

Neither. Although I hear GT86s are popular with OAPs and retired folk

Comment

The Merc for definate, Alfa's aren't exactly reliable judging from what friends and family how told me they're just slightly better Fiat's
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

The problem with the Giuletta is not reliability, it's just that it's a dull, uncharismatic car, unlike the Alfas of old.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Merc. But only because it'll be easier to sell on, hold it's value better, be just as nice to drive and more reliable.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Alfa every time for me.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              Alfa every time for me.
              Me too usually, but not in this case.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

I switched from an Alfa 159 to a C class this year. I do love Alfas, but mine did start to live up to its reputation towards the end. Lots of random warning messages and various issues that continually outfoxed mechanics.

I feel far more confident driving the Merc, but far less quirky.
                Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                  The Merc for definate, Alfa's aren't exactly reliable judging from what friends and family how told me they're just slightly better Fiat's
                  Mercs up until the 90s were great quality.
                  (I had three)
                  Mercs are no longer reliable. They are mass produced like any other car.

As an example the automatic selector as plastic linkages and has a plastic locking device that is non serviceable. They invariably stick had will stop the car from starting. There is no way of releasing it. The merc garage has to hit the gear shift with a rubber hammer and break the plastic link. The plastic linkage can then be replaced. At a cost of £1200.

It happened on my cousins merc along with many other users. Just google the forums,
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Merc with a big lazy Diesel engine.

Comment

Working...
                    X