• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know anything about medieval helmets?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know anything about medieval helmets?

I know that there are some historians on here so ...

I am thinking of buying an armet - this one - to go with a new suit of gothic armour that is being made for me. Target date is approx 1475.

I have not seen many/any being used in touraments or on the field, can anyone think of a reason why?

The armour is German so would normally go with a salet but I want one that locks down completely over my face to ensure I am protected (fighting style is full contact with steel weapons and the head is a valid targe) - I am assuming that this is not a a huge issue?
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

I don't think medieval helmets were much different from ours.
    Although perhaps ours may be bigger because of improved nutrition?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Is this about the situation in Gaza? Are you going on some kind of crusade?
      Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

I would look at my helmet now but the room is too cold
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

What about a maximillian style helmet? Full protection and historically accurate?

Comment

I would get yourself over to the living history forum and ask them - LivingHistory.co.uk

Looking at it though, I wouldn't buy that. It doesn't say anything about the gauge of the steel or the method of manufacture. It may be well and good for playing in, but could not be appropriate for full contact.

My advice to people buying weapons and armour for real use is to buy from known manufacturers where you can see and touch what they make and also to totally avoid those manufacturers that also make/sell fantasy stuff.
            Last edited by RasputinDude; 16 November 2012, 10:51. Reason: Fix duff link

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
              I would get yourself over to the living history forum and ask them - LivingHistory.co.uk

Looking at it though, I wouldn't buy that. It doesn't say anything about the gauge of the steel or the method of manufacture. It may be well and good for playing in, but could not be appropriate for full contact.

My advice to people buying weapons and armour for real use is to buy from known manufacturers where you can see and touch what they make and also to totally avoid those manufacturers that also make/sell fantasy stuff.
              Fair points, thanks for taking the time to make them.

I am on that forum (user name Ayliffe's Steve, have a look at my group combat document, it rocks!!) but I find a problem on there can be information saturation (the armour archive too) for questions like this so I thought I would pop the question on here first as a couple of people seem to know about history.

At the bottom of the page they mention the lid is 14 gauge and cold rolled. I have also bought gauntlets from these guys before, so far they have taken full contact axes etc and reduced it to just small discomfort. They also provide armour for some of the Polish BOTN team.

Originally posted by Ketchup
              What about a maximillian style helmet? Full protection and historically accurate?
              A good idea but I was under the impression that was more 16c?

Comment

How do you clean your helmet, though? With a wire brush?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  How do you clean your helmet, though? With a wire brush?
                  I used to but the doctor advised me to stop going that BDSM mistress.

As for my armour, I clean that with cloth and wire wool - or scouring pads ... or I do not bother!

Comment

I have a few friends at who work at Osprey publishing, have fired them the question, will update when i get a response.

Comment

Working...
                    X