• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurance advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance advice

Hi,

I'm just about to start my first contract and need to get some insurance so could do with some advice because it seems to be a bit of a mine field.

Ltd company is set up, I'm the sole Director and my wife is down as secretary so an employee.

My contract states I need:

£2million Professional liability Insurance
    £10million Public Liability Insurance
    £10million Employers Liability Insurance

The insurance limit requirements are per claim or connected claims (no idea exactly what that means!)

I've been finding it hard to get quotes and have had one at around £2500 which seems really high.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should be expecting to pay and any recommendation of who to go to for quotes.

If it makes any difference I will be working on an ecommerce site

Thanks,

Insurance advice

Try Qdos, those amounts of cover seem high tho.

Comment

Originally posted by richclever View Post
      I've been finding it hard to get quotes and have had one at around £2500 which seems really high.
      Yes, that does sound high. Are you in a high risk occupation like oil rigger or something?

I presume you have done a search for "insurance" on the forum and found a list of the popular insurance providers and tried all of them. What did they say, will they not cover you? Is the amount that you require a problem?
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Hi,

I'm just about to start my first contract and need to get some insurance so could do with some advice because it seems to be a bit of a mine field.

Ltd company is set up, I'm the sole Director and my wife is down as secretary so an employee.

The insurance limit requirements are per claim or connected claims (no idea exactly what that means!)

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should be expecting to pay and any recommendation of who to go to for quotes.

Thanks,
        I know its not part of your question but the bit I highlighted is not true. Someone who is secretary can also be an employee, but being secretary doesn't make them an employee.

I use Caunce O'Hara for my insurance by the way...
        Still Invoicing

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the suggestions. Have had a quick look at Caunce and they come up with £600ish but with £5million of Public Liability which is nearer the mark so will call them to see if they can do £10million.

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
            I know its not part of your question but the bit I highlighted is not true. Someone who is secretary can also be an employee, but being secretary doesn't make them an employee.

I use Caunce O'Hara for my insurance by the way...
            Thanks, I've put her down as an employee for tax as she doesn't work at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
              Yes, that does sound high. Are you in a high risk occupation like oil rigger or something?

I presume you have done a search for "insurance" on the forum and found a list of the popular insurance providers and tried all of them. What did they say, will they not cover you? Is the amount that you require a problem?
              Lol, no not an oil rigger just an IT developer! I think the £10million public liability seems to be problematic. I've had brokers saying it doesn't exist!

Comment

Hi,

Thanks,
                You need to push back on this contract - it is definately NOT 'industry standard' for an IT developer to be expected to have £2m/£10m/£10m insurance.

This is for senior management and high risk roles. You should be expected to have £1m/£1m/£1m tops.

I rejected my current contract because of this. They didn't quibble and changed it.

It sounds to me as if you haven't had this contract looked at by QDOS or Bauer & Cottrell - that is something you really need to do to avoid being shafted like this.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I've just called the client and I might be able to get the public liability level dropped to £5million which means Qdos will do all I need for £393 which sounds a bit more like it! Should hear more this afternoon.

Thanks a lot for the replies so far really appreciated.

Comment

I've just called the client and I might be able to get the public liability level dropped to £5million which means Qdos will do all I need for £393 which sounds a bit more like it! Should hear more this afternoon.

Thanks a lot for the replies so far really appreciated.
                    Well, that's better than £2500!

I would still get the contract checked if you haven't already though.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X