• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Haggling...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haggling...

So as per other post, I am looking at buying a new second hand car - Merc CLK / 2009 / 32k miles in mind. It is up for £13,500 (main dealer) and I am looking at doing a px of around £3,500-4,000.

Problem is I am not the best haggler and end up paying more than I should, or at least feel like I do. Any tips of how I can secure the ideal bargain ??!

TIA

Talk less and be willing to walk away.

Comment

Focus on earning more money so that you don't care how much things that you want cost.

HTH

AtW

Comment

+1 make your offer and be prepared to walk away if not accepted
        Join IPSE

Comment

thanks - am thinking of making it the 'one and only one offer' approach and walk away if need be. Problem is I always ending up walking back !

Comment

worth getting a valuation for current car so you know the price before you walk in. You might find that they'll over pay for your car rather than drop the price of the sell too much.

On a 11K car they're probably trying to make about 3K - there's less leeway than a new car unless the car they have was also part exchanged and they're desprate to shift it.

So it depends if they're a real 2nd dealer or a merc garage.

As other have said, go in knowing your maximum and be prepared to walk and wait for a better deal, then be upfront, asking for a PE valuation and what deal he can give you, I always say that the wife won't let me spend over X amount but I could go to X+£500 which is usually 500 less than I'm willing to go to, this gives him a win of £500.

If you can't get cash discount then try for servicing or extended warranty.
            Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

I am rubbish at haggling as well and often the mistake of spending ages finding the exact car I want, spec, colour, condition and age and not being able to walk away, particularly if there are not many about or something particular I want.

I would set a price you are happy with and go for that. Something is only worth what you pay for it. If you love the car it is worth it. Pay what you have to, push out the thought you might have been able to knock a couple of hundred quid off and be happy with what you have.

If it is something I have to buy and have no love for it then setting a price and walking away is much easier.

Could try waiting until the end of the month to see if he hasn't hit is margins but I don't believe all salesmens months are 1st to 31st so might catch him beginning of his next month.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

See if they'll throw in a free gourd. If not, walk away.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                  thanks - am thinking of making it the 'one and only one offer' approach and walk away if need be. Problem is I always ending up walking back !
                  And the few times I have done this they never called me back either so not much experience to base a 'walk away' offer on

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    See if they'll throw in a free pipe and tweed jacket. If not, walk away.
                    It is a Merc after all.......

Last edited by northernladuk; 16 November 2012, 17:09.

Comment

Working...
                    X