PDA

View Full Version : Haggling...

kaiser78
16th November 2012, 16:10
So as per other post, I am looking at buying a new second hand car - Merc CLK / 2009 / 32k miles in mind. It is up for £13,500 (main dealer) and I am looking at doing a px of around £3,500-4,000.

Problem is I am not the best haggler and end up paying more than I should, or at least feel like I do. Any tips of how I can secure the ideal bargain ??!

TIA

Pondlife
16th November 2012, 16:12
Talk less and be willing to walk away.

AtW
16th November 2012, 16:19
Focus on earning more money so that you don't care how much things that you want cost.

HTH

AtW

Alias
16th November 2012, 16:19
+1 make your offer and be prepared to walk away if not accepted

kaiser78
16th November 2012, 16:23
thanks - am thinking of making it the 'one and only one offer' approach and walk away if need be. Problem is I always ending up walking back !

Notascooby
16th November 2012, 16:27
worth getting a valuation for current car so you know the price before you walk in. You might find that they'll over pay for your car rather than drop the price of the sell too much.

On a 11K car they're probably trying to make about 3K - there's less leeway than a new car unless the car they have was also part exchanged and they're desprate to shift it.

So it depends if they're a real 2nd dealer or a merc garage.

As other have said, go in knowing your maximum and be prepared to walk and wait for a better deal, then be upfront, asking for a PE valuation and what deal he can give you, I always say that the wife won't let me spend over X amount but I could go to X+£500 which is usually 500 less than I'm willing to go to, this gives him a win of £500.

If you can't get cash discount then try for servicing or extended warranty.

northernladuk
16th November 2012, 16:27
I am rubbish at haggling as well and often the mistake of spending ages finding the exact car I want, spec, colour, condition and age and not being able to walk away, particularly if there are not many about or something particular I want.

I would set a price you are happy with and go for that. Something is only worth what you pay for it. If you love the car it is worth it. Pay what you have to, push out the thought you might have been able to knock a couple of hundred quid off and be happy with what you have.

If it is something I have to buy and have no love for it then setting a price and walking away is much easier.

Could try waiting until the end of the month to see if he hasn't hit is margins but I don't believe all salesmens months are 1st to 31st so might catch him beginning of his next month.

VectraMan
16th November 2012, 16:29
See if they'll throw in a free gourd. If not, walk away.

northernladuk
16th November 2012, 16:29
thanks - am thinking of making it the 'one and only one offer' approach and walk away if need be. Problem is I always ending up walking back !

And the few times I have done this they never called me back either so not much experience to base a 'walk away' offer on :(

northernladuk
16th November 2012, 16:30
See if they'll throw in a free pipe and tweed jacket. If not, walk away.

It is a Merc after all.......

http://static.themetapicture.com/media/funny-peace-sign-Mercedes-Benz.jpg

DimPrawn
16th November 2012, 17:19
Get the 320 CDI + 7 speed auto, the puny petrol jobby is like an asthmatic fart. Seriously.

vetran
16th November 2012, 17:27
told to me by a second hand car dealer. Works best with private sales.

Take cash slap your bottom offer in cash on the table. They will find it difficult to refuse.

northernladuk
16th November 2012, 17:38
told to me by a second hand car dealer. Works best with private sales.

Take cash slap your bottom offer in cash on the table. They will find it difficult to refuse.

I didn't think cash was king nowadays? Some will try and sprout something about not taking cash due to money laundering process/regulations depending if it is a small independant or a branded chain. They also make more money on financing than cash. I would have said leave the payment style till last and then drop it on him and a last incentive possibly.

kaiser78
16th November 2012, 18:08
I read that buying through finance is a bigger hand these days than paying by cash, as salesman can take greater commission through finance deals.

Sockpuppet
16th November 2012, 18:26
There are no "tricks". A seasoned salesman will know them all including the "her indoors won't let me spend that much".

Just sit down and cut to the point.

"That car there. I like it. My offer is £11,000. We'll haggle a bit and we'll get to £12,000 on it. So that's what I'll offer you straight away".

If they say no walk. Give you number and let them know if they change the mind to give you a ring.

adubya
16th November 2012, 18:28
The salesman might have sold if for £10,500 though ;)

Pondlife
16th November 2012, 18:31
It's often easier to get additions thrown in than it is to get the price reduced by too much.

If it's a proper Merc dealer then an extra years warranty probably costs them next to nothing but it could be of high value to you.

Maybe a discounted servicing package.

2009 cars are at the tail end of the "approved used" for main dealers so you might get lucky.

Halo Jones
16th November 2012, 21:16

Any payment in cash of more than 15k euros has paperwork requirements under the Money Laundering regulations 2007, so dealers tend to avoid it & yes they get bonus commission if finance is sold. :eyes

quackhandle
16th November 2012, 21:23
I've always bought my cars outright, but have seen a nice VW GTi, was wondering if anyone on here has taken their VW Solutions (PCP) plan?

Any bloody good?

qh

ZARDOZ
17th November 2012, 01:58
It's much harder to get a deal at a dealers than in a private sale. Although a main dealer will have more room to discount than a car supermarket. Usually though, the more willing they are to do a deal the more likely the car isn't in demand. Having said that November is one of the best months for a bargaining as it's a very slow month.

If you like the car DO NOT show it. Point out all the faults. Mention that you have other cars to look at and there is one you just saw with lower mileage for less, however you are willing to do a deal if it's something better than that.

If you don't get anywhere mention that you are looking to do a deal this month. leave them your contact details and ask them to get in touch if they can do something better. Quite often they will get in contact if the sales for the month are off target.

Part ex will not help things, it will weaken your hand as they will most likely not want your car. You will get a lousy trade in or less of a discount.