• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you do in my situation?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do in my situation?

Potted summary is that I was made redundant a month ago, no need to work for a few months.

Been very pro-active in looking, after 5 interviews I have a firm offer starting in 3 weeks, for a much smaller firm than I am used to on 20% less money than my last job for 5 years.

Very few contracts in my skillset in this area, and been messed around a lot my agents on the contract side of things, so given up on contracting for now.

There are three decent permie roles local on around the money I have been used to, but my worry is that this is getting dangerously close to my new start date in the next 3 weeks, as 3 weeks is not a lot of time to get in the interviews, second interviews etc, and very difficult to get a holiday off for an interview with starting a new role.

My options seem to be:

1. Keep calm and carry on. Hope that any interviews for the three I am actively pursuing come good before my start date.

2. Reject the job and back to square 1, baton down hatches and maybe look for a contract in the new year.

3. Come up with a convincing reason to delay the start date until the new year. Problem being that they are very keen to get me in before Christmas.

The new role is 40 miles away but a nice easy drive on an empty dual carriageway / motorway.

Given the current climate and contract drought, what would you be inclined to do if it was you?

I am seriously worried about the amount of roles that are now getting either outsourced to India, or the many Indian workers who have come over, resigned and flooding the market for buttons pushing rates and salaries to rock bottom. A job as a test manager which would have a PM role would be perfect.

Ideally I would like a junior Project Manager role as I have Prince2, and project managed testing, but I am finding this impossible to find. Would like to get good PM experience and adapt tracks to project management.

Done blinking well to get a job lined up, but maybe I just need to take it, settle and see what I am feleing in another year or so.

Thoughts??

Originally posted by Gruffalo View Post
    Given the current climate and contract drought, what would you be inclined to do if it was you?
    I would take the job. In my experience companies would rather pinch someone from the competitor than pick them up from the street. However it all depends on your individual circumstances and more importantly - your luck.
    If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

I would start hoping for a quick and painless death. It sounds like that's all you have to look forwards to.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Thoughts??
        Take the job. Become a big fish in a small pond. Find a bigger pond. Go to it.

Comment

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

Comment

New gig will stop you eating into Warchest. Also I enjoy Christmas more if I've worked for it, rather than one long bench period with Christmas a minor blip in the middle.

New gig will keep you marketable, skills raor sharp and provide new opportunities to learn new ones. Also from a networking pov it's also a win.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              New gig will stop you eating into Warchest. Also I enjoy Christmas more if I've worked for it, rather than one long bench period with Christmas a minor blip in the middle.

New gig will keep you marketable, skills raor sharp and provide new opportunities to learn new ones. Also from a networking pov it's also a win.
              WHS
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Been very pro-active in looking, after 5 interviews I have a firm offer starting in 3 weeks, for a much smaller firm than I am used to on 20% less money than my last job for 5 years.
                Take it.

This will give you time to look for a better job.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  WHS
                  Someone agreed with me

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Just what I was thinking, just needed the push to take the plunge.

Obviously still going to town focussing firmly on the three good local options.

Hatch battoned anyway - just done my weekly shop at Lidl for a mere 20 quid - never looked twice at Lidl until I visited the one near the apartment in France, there is some pretty good stuff there if you can hack half an hour with the great unwashed!!

Comment

Working...
                    X