• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The dreaded taxman!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dreaded taxman!!!

Hi all,

I think I am possibly the unluckiest contractor in the world. I start up 2 years ago, and last summer my company was auditted.

The auditor came to my house, went through all my stuff (accountancy spreadsheet, paperwork, etc) and said everythig looked fine and dandy!

I was chuffed to bits.

BUT, the bl**dy tax man has got in touch with me again! For that same first year of business!! They want to audit me again - this time just for my travel and subsistance claims. They need ALL my receipts, explanations of what they were for, even an explaination of my entire income (mortgage, credit cards) etc as they simply dont believe my figures!!

Has anyone else been hunted in this way?!! I need to feel like I'm not alone (

yorknursey

They gave Ken Dodd and Lester Pigott a pretty hard time.

Seriously though, bad luck indeed. As long as everything is in order and you haven't been making up fictitious expences or claiming spurious "daily rates" try as hard as you can to put it to the back of your mind.

Do you have legal expenses and/or tax investigation insurance? Representing yourself is expensive and rarely successful. If you haven't already, join the PCG and make use of their excellent legal helpline.

Comment

Who makes up daily rates?!!!! A taxi receipt here and there maybe, but daily rates?! God I wouldn't be able to sleep at night!

Well they're busy assessing my receipt collection at the moment, but I think if they come back and say anything else nasty to me I'm going to have to get some kind of help in.

I really want to speak to someone who's gone through the same thing and came out ok. I'm just havin nightmares that they'll dispute every single receipt I've got and I'll wind up in prison, or with a £20k tax bill or something!

Comment

In that case, join the PCG. You will get a lot of support and advice there. They are practiced in this sort of thing. Remember, the inspector has targets to meet and his objective is to sting you for a large bill and hope you will just pay up quietly.

Comment

Working...
        X