PDA

View Full Version : Musicians on CUK?

d000hg
20th November 2012, 11:49
Thought it would be nice to know who else plays - I know Cliphead is semi-pro (if not pro) but who else?

I play acoustic guitar but I basically play or learn the chords, I struggle to understand music the way others can just play along, etc.

sasguru
20th November 2012, 11:52
I can fart the theme tune to the "Great Escape" in a basso profundo.

MyUserName
20th November 2012, 11:53
I sing bass-baritone but do not play any instruments other than the reproductive organ.

RasputinDude
20th November 2012, 11:58
Bass Guitar
Mandolin
Learning the piano

Also pretty well experienced on professional sound desks.

Bunk
20th November 2012, 12:24
I play guitar, electric mainly but a bit of acoustic/classical as well.

Edit: All of it badly

SimonMac
20th November 2012, 12:39
This one time at band camp.....

NotAllThere
20th November 2012, 12:48
Edit: All of it badly

In the same style, I play guitar - acoustic and electric. Also bass and ukulele.

I can sing pretty well. For the Panto (www.baselpanto.org)I'm in this year, I'm playing the bad guy and I'm singing a version of Bohemian Rhapsody, at the pitch Freddy sang it.

I can read music and sing/play by sight to an extent.

cojak
20th November 2012, 12:49
And I murder both acoustic and electric ukulele. :music:

BrilloPad
20th November 2012, 13:01
I can fart the national anthem.

SimonMac
20th November 2012, 13:06
I can sing pretty well. For the Panto (www.baselpanto.org)I'm in this year, I'm playing the bad guy and I'm singing a version of Bohemian Rhapsody, at the pitch Freddy sang it.

And here is a secret recording from rehearsals

The Muppets: Bohemian Rhapsody - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbNymZ7vqY)

BlasterBates
20th November 2012, 13:14
We're playing Rockabilly at the "Ranch" ...in Steinfurth near Frankfurt this coming Saturday, then again in mid December at Inter-Cultural Theatre in Frankfurt-Bornheim

Rock On....

:music:

norrahe
20th November 2012, 13:17
I sing alto and am currently considering taking up the ukulele

Pondlife
20th November 2012, 13:21
I own a guitar. It's dusty. :o

stek
20th November 2012, 13:52
Guitarist. Currently have an Epiphone Dot (ES-335 clone) and a Black Rickenbacker 330. Had a 360/12 but that got stolen (sob). Currently having rebuilt from parts a Fender Electric XII - love electric twelve-strings!

Also got a 'Semistrunka' - a Soviet seven-string acoustic made in 1960 in Leningrad.

Used to have a Roland Guitar Synth (not a Key-tar, proper guitar with late 1970's electronic wizardry) and a Shergold Six-string bass (Peter Hook phase)

snaw
20th November 2012, 14:01
There's plenty of comedians.

Then AtW, who just thinks he's funny.

DS23
20th November 2012, 14:17
Thought it would be nice to know who else plays - I know Cliphead is semi-pro (if not pro) but who else?

I play acoustic guitar but I basically play or learn the chords, I struggle to understand music the way others can just play along, etc.

acoustic and electric guitar pretty well with a dabble of piano. i can happily improvise along to anything but have no idea what any of the chords or notes are called. one day, one day...

northernladuk
20th November 2012, 14:18
I played Bass Trombone in a number of brass bands. Placed 3rd in the National Brass Band Competition one year. We really know how to party up here :D

NotAllThere
20th November 2012, 15:25
And here is a secret recording from rehearsals

The Muppets: Bohemian Rhapsody - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbNymZ7vqY)

While I aim to do a good job, I could never aspire to those heights of creative artistry.

darmstadt
20th November 2012, 19:37
I played guitar for one of the bands on this album:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/84/Bsdetector1.jpg

Also released some stuff on a label mentioned in this article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2006/mar/31/popandrock1) and here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Showbiz)

My guitar: http://www.themusiczoo.com/images/9-10-08/69_Stratocaster_NOS_White_Pearl_Mirror_Guard_R3858 6combo.jpg is currently in the cellar but keeps threatening a return along with the various effects pedals including the great Vox distortion pedal: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/turquoisemoleeater/guitars/VoxDistortion.jpg and a fantastically rare and cool Japanese wah-wah pedal with built in sound effects from Companion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin-ei_Companion_FY-2)

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Super-Rare-Vintage-Shin-Ei-Companion-Wah-pedal-/00/s/NDAyWDM2MQ==/$(KGrHqN,!pUFBQWUHwrEBQc33NJMyw~~60_35.JPG

Used to also have a Roland SH101 synth but as it was monophonic it was a bit boring. Oh and I was 3rd trumpet in the school orchestra :laugh

RasputinDude
20th November 2012, 19:39
So we've got a CUK band, and enough (read 1 more than me) Welshmen to form a choir.

So Wembley or the Albert Hall next?

Halo Jones
20th November 2012, 19:39
BBG plays keyboard, I brought a lap harp & read the “how to teach yourself to play” it makes a nice ornament now :emb

minestrone
20th November 2012, 19:43
Got lessons on snare drum from when I was 11, progressed into a pretty damn fine kit player by the time I was 20, still got a bit of the magic but you have to be playing 6 hours a day to master an instrument and I don't have the time any more.

I have a good grasp of musical theory and can work out some decent stuff on the piano but don't have the ability to actually play it well, same with the guitar.

Piano and drums are totally different, drums you just have to play and play the same thing over and over again, rudiments in a wax on wax off style. left right left left, right left right right. Do that and the rudiment variances for 10 years and you get good.

Piano to me is about getting chords sounding good "let's take that chord, drop the root on the right, play the 7th & 11th with the left, don't sound good, hit the 9th, na, drop the 3rd out on the right, OK got it, which chord do I move to now..." and it all starts again. Complicated.

mos
20th November 2012, 19:45
Violin ... :nerd2:

d000hg
20th November 2012, 20:38
I'd love to play electric guitar and drums but I'm put off the former by all the crap you seem to need... amps and pre-amps and pedals and so on... and I just don't seem able to keep a rhythm with my foot while doing stuff with my hands.

Maybe I'll stick with acoustic and take up bongos, far more Christian ;) I do have a rainbow guitar strap on my 12-string :nerd

hyperD
20th November 2012, 20:46
Played in a rock-pop covers band for 10 years (pubs, clubs, weddings, bar mitzvahs). Play guitar, bass and some keys.

Fender Strat USA Plus Deluxe, Fender Jazz bass.

Hey! We've got a CUK band!

DimPrawn
20th November 2012, 20:57
Kazoo, professional level.

Ruprect
20th November 2012, 21:02
Kazoo, professional level.

I thought you were grade 8 at the one string bass?

Zippy
20th November 2012, 21:30
This is CUK?
Nobody has attempted a smutty joke about playing the oboe.

Standards are slipping :suicide:

Cliphead
20th November 2012, 21:32
So Wembley or the Albert Hall next?

Played the Albert Hall twice. Too many other big venues to mention and I won't get started on name dropping.

Two A list movie scores (part of), that I guarantee you've heard.

No need for a Plan B :smokin

mos
20th November 2012, 22:04
This is CUK?
Nobody has attempted a smutty joke about playing the oboe.

Standards are slipping :suicide:

love oboe

stek
20th November 2012, 22:12
Played the Albert Hall twice. Too many other big venues to mention and I won't get started on name dropping.

I've actually played in front The Prince of Wales, and several other pubs in Bolton....

d000hg
20th November 2012, 22:15

So how good are you and on what instruments? It might seem a daft question, but lots of famous bands are pretty ropey musicians and lots of excellent musicians never make it anywhere!

Do you have a proper studio or what?

VectraMan
20th November 2012, 22:27
I still have acoustic and electric guitars, but rarely pick them up these days. I was in a few bands at school and university. Played in front of the whole school-assembly, which was over 1000 kids, so pretty big gig even though none of them actually wanted to be there.:)

Guitarists are ten a penny though.

My problem is that I could never work anything out; I could never hear something and be able to play it.

Cliphead
20th November 2012, 22:27
So how good are you and on what instruments? It might seem a daft question, but lots of famous bands are pretty ropey musicians and lots of excellent musicians never make it anywhere!

Do you have a proper studio or what?

I'd be rated as a guitarist in several styles. Made my name in folk circles playing tenor banjo (No2 in the country, my mate got No1 but that's journalistic shite).

Well enough repsected to do session work over the years including work at Abbey Road and another session scheduled for March next year.

Got a fully equipped studio at home, mostly compose for film / TV these days rather than live work.

As I mentioned before you will have heard me play on somebody's album or a film score.

minestrone
20th November 2012, 22:40
I pushed myself to be a technical drummer, played all the rudiments, practiced them for as much as I could, then when I was 17 listened to stevie wonder's superstition...

Got it all wrong I did.

Cliphead
20th November 2012, 22:42
I pushed myself to be a technical drummer, played all the rudiments, practiced them for as much as I could, then when I was 17 listened to stevie wonder's superstition...

Got it all wrong I did.

Fck the tech, get out there and gig. You don't have to kid yourself on only the punters.

doodab
20th November 2012, 22:49
I play with synthesizers, sequencers, drum machines and assorted effects gadgets, so these days mostly the computer. I play keyboards badly, can just about do a 12 bar blues and a bit of hand drumming and I bought a guitar once although I've no idea what I've done with it.

minestrone
20th November 2012, 23:07
Fck the tech, get out there and gig. You don't have to kid yourself on only the punters.

what is your most favourite passage of music?

stek
20th November 2012, 23:13
I'd be rated as a guitarist in several styles. Made my name in folk circles playing tenor banjo (No2 in the country, my mate got No1 but that's journalistic tulipe).

Well enough repsected to do session work over the years including work at Abbey Road and another session scheduled for March next year.

Got a fully equipped studio at home, mostly compose for film / TV these days rather than live work.

As I mentioned before you will have heard me play on somebody's album or a film score.

I got a Whirle Windsor from about 1900 or so, well, guy said it was 'Victorian' which I doubt, worth owt'? Also have a massive piano-accordian I can't play that I paid £15 for from a postcard in ASDA - forgot the name - will have to dig it out.....

EternalOptimist
20th November 2012, 23:15
I am the non-music member of a very talented musical family.
BUT, I do have one claim to fame
I have a genuine digeridoo, bought in Ti Tree Oz, AND I can get a few notes out of it

:emb er..carry on. nothing to see here

Cliphead
20th November 2012, 23:21
what is your most favourite passage of music?

If I could write like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c3XvNZ3ns4

Cliphead
20th November 2012, 23:24
One of mine...

Guitars Guitars (Remix) by Tony Monaghan on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free (http://snd.sc/vjpb16)

minestrone
20th November 2012, 23:57
If I could write like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c3XvNZ3ns4

Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, these ruskies can blow my mind, and the middle 8 to don't worry baby by the beach boys.

minestrone
20th November 2012, 23:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB3sd2BAxys

stek
21st November 2012, 00:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB3sd2BAxys

On my many trips to Russia, I overwhelmingly loved the Ballet and then the Opera, absolutely wonderful and fantastically cheap.

First time I went saw a play too, mistake, even though my Russian is not so shabby, there's no way I could keep up with a play. I remember it as being called 'Taksist' - i.e. taxi driver, but the current mrs stek said it had a longer title and I forgot what she said it was.

Still, loved it even though I was not really following it...

But the ballet - wow - and me coming from the arse end of Bolton. Still love ballet....

minestrone
21st November 2012, 00:25
The old boy was finance head of Scottish Opera for a while, Pavarotti played and he got a front row ticket with my mother and I asked him if I could go with him and he said no. Swine, never forgive him for that.

NotAllThere
21st November 2012, 05:23
Piano to me is about getting chords sounding good "let's take that chord, drop the root on the right, play the 7th & 11th with the left, don't sound good, hit the 9th, na, drop the 3rd out on the right, OK got it, which chord do I move to now..." and it all starts again. Complicated.That technique doesn't quite work with Prokofiev. :ohwell

My problem is that I could never work anything out; I could never hear something and be able to play it.That I can do. I can also do musical arrangements - deciding who does what and when.

ChrisPackit
21st November 2012, 08:04
Guitar and ukelele. Started off with a passion for George Formby, as he was born down the road from my parents so a local point of interest for me.

Progressed on guitar. Now own a reasonable collection of guitars... '65 Antoria Jumbo, Taylor semi acoustic, late 90's Fender USA Strat etc

Was the lead singer and rhythm guitarist in a band in the early to mid 90's who gigged and did some studio stuff - chatted with Richard Ashcroft several times in the Wigan based recording studios...