PDA

View Full Version : Never say never

Mich the Tester
20th November 2012, 14:22
I said I'd never do it. Wild horses couldn't drag me back to permiedoom. But I've had such a good offer that I'm taking it, and in a few weeks time I shall be handing in my contractor badge and going to the dark side. The offer is very good; my salary, bonus and pension/car/health insurance/expenses/education and training package is actually worth quite a bit more than I can earn as a contract tester, and there are shares involved.

Why am I doing it?

Firstly, it's a very good offer at a company where there are people I know and respect.

Secondly, I think contracting is fooked at least for the medium term. Rates have fallen and there's no room to negotiate rates at the big corporates with their PSLs, while many smaller clients in NL have a reputation for being very nice and fun until the time to pay the invoice comes along. My rate has wobbled up and down, but peaked in 2008 before the credit crunchie crisis that continues to bore us today, contracts are shorter and it's more and more difficult to get enough work to pay myself the kind of salary the permieco are offering.

Thirdly, our wonderful government is taking away some of the tax advantages that the self-employed enjoy, because just as any other government, they want to carry on spending more than the taxpayer can raise. I've had enough of their bureaucracy and if I have to pay as much tax as a permie, then I may as well be a permie and get some benefits if I end up unemployed or sick.

Fourth, it's becoming more difficult to run a one man business as a craftsman and I'm not a businessman; I'm a craftsman and I want someone else to do all the businessy stuff.

Fifth; it's no fun anymore and I want to go home every evening.

So there you have it; I'm going permie.

snaw
20th November 2012, 14:28
I said I'd never do it. Wild horses couldn't drag me back to permiedoom. But I've had such a good offer that I'm taking it, and in a few weeks time I shall be handing in my contractor badge and going to the dark side. The offer is very good; my salary, bonus and pension/car/health insurance/expenses/education and training package is actually worth quite a bit more than I can earn as a contract tester, and there are shares involved.

Why am I doing it?

Firstly, it's a very good offer at a company where there are people I know and respect.

Secondly, I think contracting is fooked at least for the medium term. Rates have fallen and there's no room to negotiate rates at the big corporates with their PSLs, while many smaller clients in NL have a reputation for being very nice and fun until the time to pay the invoice comes along. My rate has wobbled up and down, but peaked in 2008 before the credit crunchie crisis that continues to bore us today, contracts are shorter and it's more and more difficult to get enough work to pay myself the kind of salary the permieco are offering.

Thirdly, our wonderful government is taking away some of the tax advantages that the self-employed enjoy, because just as any other government, they want to carry on spending more than the taxpayer can raise. I've had enough of bureaucracy.

Fourth, it's becoming more difficult to run a one man business as a craftsman and I'm not a businessman; I'm a craftsman and I want someone else to do all the businessy stuff.

Welcome to quarterly reviews, yearly objectives, personal development plans, dealing with HR & whinging about your bonus.

On the plus side, good bonuses, training courses, travel to exotic locations (Well me at least), paid holidays, working form home, career progression, medical insurance & life being a bit simpler.

I miss it, esp during the boom years, but not as much as I thought I would and having a family to look after changes your priorities and perceptions.

TykeMerc
20th November 2012, 14:30
Perfectly sensible decision from the sounds of it.

I hope it works out well, it's not like there's anything to stop you going back to contracting if the circumstances change later.

northernladuk
Secondly, I think contracting is fooked at least for the medium term. Rates have fallen and there's no room to negotiate rates at the big corporates with their PSLs, while many smaller clients in NL have a reputation for being very nice and fun until the time to pay the invoice comes along. My rate has wobbled up and down, but peaked in 2008 before the credit crunchie crisis that continues to bore us today, contracts are shorter and it's more and more difficult to get enough work to pay myself the kind of salary the permieco are offering..

Medium and long term. Contracting is the new preferred method of filling positions i.e. temporary employment. We are all fooked.

Mich the Tester
Welcome to quarterly reviews, yearly objectives, personal development plans, dealing with HR & whinging about your bonus.

On the plus side, good bonuses, training courses, travel to exotic locations (Well me at least), paid holidays, working form home, career progression, medical insurance & life being a bit simpler.

I miss it, esp during the boom years, but not as much as I thought I would and having a family to look after changes your priorities and perceptions.

Yep, but I'm a contractor and I miss the boom years too. But there's no point in regretting it; I don't think the boom years are going to coming back.

vetran
20th November 2012, 14:31

Welcome to the dark side, wait here in a comfy armchair until the thaw comes.

Trick is to realise its a game and the reviews etc can be an immense source of fun.

Mich the Tester
20th November 2012, 14:32
Medium and long term. Contracting is the new preferred method of filling positions i.e. temporary employment. We are all fooked.

Yep, and working according to so-called 'industry best practises' instead of using your brain and your skills because some purchasing manager or HR numpty thinks he knows enough about testing to tell someone with 15 years experience how to do his job.

Mich the Tester
20th November 2012, 14:33
Welcome to the dark side, wait here in a comfy armchair until the thaw comes.

Trick is to realise its a game and the reviews etc can be an immense source of fun.

A former agent who has become a friend :eek: is a psychologist by training ; he has lots of tips for dealing with reviews, or should I say, dealing with reviewers.

Robinho
20th November 2012, 14:34
Does this mean you won't be posting on here any more? :banana:

norrahe
Market in NL is pretty crap for interim, along with worsening tax rules, its not worth it.

chef
you've changed Mitch, you've changed <shaking head smiley>

Mich the Tester
20th November 2012, 14:35
you changed Mitch, you changed <shaking head smiley>

So did the world.

vetran
20th November 2012, 14:36
only one thing to say

Mitch did!

Mich the Tester
20th November 2012, 14:37
only one thing to say

Mitch did!

We'll see how long I last. :wink

Mich the Tester
20th November 2012, 14:38
Market in NL is pretty crap for interim, along with worsening tax rules, its not worth it.

Yep, and the tax changes are a bad idea; lots of bigger businesses start out as one (wo)man bands; lots won't start at all now.

FiveTimes
20th November 2012, 14:40
Well done on getting the job MTT :yay:

You could enjoy it, and sometimes you just have to weigh up all the options and take the one that suits your situation.

rootsnall
20th November 2012, 14:45
I said I'd never do it.

I'm nearly 2 years into the dark side after 15 years contracting and it was a good move. I'm probably a little down on money but I've spent every night in my own bed except the odd works jolly. The boredom levels are also about equal ie. I'm bored. The work has actually probably been marginally better as I've farmed out some of the tulip to a contractor :yay:.

I do miss the buzz of job hunting and wheeling and dealing with agency scum but not enough to head back yet. My ideal out is to get made redundant and be forced back.

So enjoy and don't take it too seriously, you've got to keep the contractor mentally or you'll soon be :(

d000hg
20th November 2012, 14:49
Good for you if it's a decent package - you can always leave :)

I got the impression you were on a pretty decent rate (£400ish) - if you don't mind the question what ballpark is that putting you on now (sorry I know it's not British to ask)?

doomage
20th November 2012, 14:54
Is one of the permie benefits free mattress protectors?

Shameful.

Good luck in your new role and have fun over at mumsnet! :wave:

Mich the Tester
20th November 2012, 14:58
Good for you if it's a decent package - you can always leave :)

I got the impression you were on a pretty decent rate (£400ish) - if you don't mind the question what ballpark is that putting you on now (sorry I know it's not British to ask)?

I've been on a good rate varying from 63e to 72,50e per hour the last year, but I've had four months out this year and for 6 months last year I worked 20 hour weeks. Clientcos want short term hands and the quality of the projects has gone downhill, with a few exceptions. I could get more work at a decent rate but I refuse to do waterfail projects any more, which means I'm out of about 7 out of 10 projects in NL, and only want to do Agile projects, so I'm joining a firm that only does Agile.

I'll be on basic 70k euros, plus bonusses, good car allowance (C Class money, but I'll take the expenses and drive my own car), pension, health insurance etc etc and importantly, a good education budget with almost a month of training days each year.

Add to all this, in the last 5 years I've had two clientcos who've gone bust before paying, so I took some hits.

DS23
20th November 2012, 15:25
good luck. nothing wrong with making the right decision. you'll be back. last year was treading water and most of this year was half steam ahead but things are changing. rates are rising and work is bubbling up all over the place.

BrilloPad
20th November 2012, 15:27
:yay:

personally I quite like being a permie.

DS23
20th November 2012, 15:28
yes, but you like dressing up and climbing palaces. not for everyone.

Gibbon
20th November 2012, 15:36

Why am I doing it?

Thirdly, our wonderful government is taking away some of the tax advantages that the self-employed enjoy, because just as any other government, they want to carry on spending more than the taxpayer can raise. I've had enough of their bureaucracy and if I have to pay as much tax as a permie, then I may as well be a permie and get some benefits if I end up unemployed or sick.

Fifth; it's no fun anymore and I want to go home every evening.

Very very disappointed, I'm of the opinion that this site should introduce some sort of distinguishing feature to mark out all the permies taking over this site, either that or change name to 'hasbeenacontractoruk'

darmstadt
20th November 2012, 19:47
Go for it Mich. If I too, were offered a decent permie job I would probably take it now. I've been contracting since the 80's (with some permie stints as well but never lasting long) and sometimes feel that a lot of the hassle is just not worth it. I've been in this contract now for 3 years and starting to feel a bit permie like but without some of the benefits. Unlike Mich I'm quite lucks as although I'm not in a niche area, its getting more and more difficult to find people to do what I do so finding projects is not too difficult, its just picking the correct one. I have an interview on Friday for one which is only 30 minutes way from home, the last 7+ years have been spent in hotels, so hopefully that will be a good one and I know people who have been there for over 5 years now. You start getting to that age, and point in life, where the travel, searching for contracts, dealing with ****wit agents, etc. are just not worth it and maybe just a simple, well paying job is all you really want...

darmstadt
20th November 2012, 19:49

Try Germany, as far as I can see its pretty good and as you're living in Holland you can commute...

mudskipper
20th November 2012, 20:29
Well, we know you're not too fussy. ;)

MarillionFan
20th November 2012, 20:31
OP is a bottler.

NickFitz
20th November 2012, 22:53
Best of luck :yay:

You'll be back... ;)

EternalOptimist
20th November 2012, 23:05
oh dear, sfincter uitloper

break a leg:wink

KentPhilip
21st November 2012, 00:07
OP is a bottler.

aye, he'll be know as Mich the Quitter now.. :rolleyes:

norrahe
21st November 2012, 09:22
Try Germany, as far as I can see its pretty good and as you're living in Holland you can commute...

Am getting fed up with the current commute....

Having a BV in NL really just isn't worth it as you don't make as much as you would in the UK when you consider the overheads and the admin.

So considering my options atm....

Mich the Tester
21st November 2012, 09:24
Am getting fed up with the current commute....

Having a BV in NL really just isn't worth it as you don't make as much as you would in the UK when you consider the overheads and the admin.

So considering my options atm....

NL's tax system used to be great for contractors. It's quickly going downhill and I don't see that changing as the gummint seems to need ever more money to pay for more and more decadent crap.