• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Too old at 35.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too old at 35.

What's the shelf life of a techie? Just 15 years - The Economic Times

That's what the MD of SAP India says...
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I assume the industry will be rid of him within a year or so then.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

"The shelf life of a software engineer today is no more than that of a cricketer - about 15 years," says V R Ferose, MD of German software major SAP's India R&D Labs that has over 4,500 employees . "The 20-year-old guys provide me more value than the 35-year-olds do." - I can charge them out regardless of ability at the same £2K a day but they only charge me 1/6th of UK minimum wage unlike the 35 year olds who want 1/5 the greedy pigs how am I supposed to afford the MOET?

FTFH

would that be the same SAP that is slowly getting less reliable and precise?

Hurrah soon we will get paid the same as cricketers!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        I think this is more relevant to the Indian market, people work like hell to get expert in an area, then sit back (they still have a job for life mentality). With so many new grads coming into the market in India, employers can take on new grads for new areas.

In Europe people don't have the jobs for life mentality anymore, and continue to up-skill all the time.
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          FTFH

would that be the same SAP that is slowly getting less reliable and precise?

Hurrah soon we will get paid the same as cricketers!
          The more flakey it gets the more work there is for developers. If there was only the old reliable R/3 system around we'd be stuffed.

Comment

rubbish. 46 and busier than ever. transition from from bum-on-seat to multi-client consultant is well underway. well, either that or it's just a brief alignment of shiny things in the firmwareament.

Comment

50 last month, still techie, retiring in 3-4 years.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

There used to be a similar attitude in Europe. I remember a 45 year old (God forbid) joining our company. They took him on but only after a trial period, lots of discussions about whether he'd be up to it. Those were the days. The MD was 35 or 36 the oldest guy in the company.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Apparently there's a shortage of ancient techies like me wot knows about the elecktrickery side of all this stuff.

Which might explain the endless series of contract notifications that end up in my email.
                  Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Apparently there's a shortage of ancient techies like me wot knows about the elecktrickery side of all this stuff.

Which might explain the endless series of contract notifications that end up in my email.
                    Boomed Zeity, you're just coming into your prime

Comment

Working...
                    X