• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gene predicts time of death, would you want to know?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gene predicts time of death, would you want to know?

If you knew how much time you had left would you do things differently?
    It's a bit like would a lotto win change you. I am considering my next move now, if I think this could be my last decision I think I would change what I will do.

In an study published in the November 2012 issue of the Annals of Neurology scientists studying the body's biological clock (a.k.a. the circadian rhythm) report the discovery of gene variant that not only determines the likelihood of your being a morning person, but also predicts, with unsettling accuracy, your likely time of death.
    Gene Predicts Time Of Death Down To Hour, Study Suggests
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

No thanks.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

"So there is really a gene that predicts the time of day that you’ll die. Not the date, fortunately, but the time of day," said Saper.

Presumably it doesn't apply to things like falling off a ladder or being run over by a bus, either.

Comment

What fantastic "research".

You will die a 2.37pm. Very useful, could be today or any day in the next 40 years.

Comment

If you knew when you were going to die, you could:

1) Spend all your dosh rather than hoarding it.
          2) Attend your own funeral, including the party say bye bye and then just retire to your coffin afterwards.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            If you knew when you were going to die, you could:

1) Spend all your dosh rather than hoarding it.
            2) Attend your own funeral, including the party say bye bye and then just retire to your coffin afterwards.
            I don't go to funeral.
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
              If you knew how much time you had left would you do things differently?
              It's a bit like would a lotto win change you. I am considering my next move now, if I think this could be my last decision I think I would change what I will do.

Gene Predicts Time Of Death Down To Hour, Study Suggests
              I read a science fiction short story 30 years ago that posited this very theory. It stayed with me..

Once this discovery was launched as a business, the inventor had a young couple come to him as the wife was pregnant and they wanted to make plans for the baby/family in good time.

The inventor took the tests on the young couple there and then, read the results and then sadly said that the machine was malfunctioning, terribly sorry about that and 'we won't charge you for this test' and asked them to rearrange with the receptionist.

He didn't look out of the window when he heard the sound of the traffic accident 5 minutes later...
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                I read a science fiction short story 30 years ago that posited this very theory. It stayed with me..

Once this discovery was launched as a business, the inventor had a young couple come to him as the wife was pregnant and they wanted to make plans for the baby/family in good time.

The inventor took the tests on the young couple there and then, read the results and then sadly said that the machine was malfunctioning, terribly sorry about that and 'we won't charge you for this test' and asked them to rearrange with the receptionist.

He didn't look out of the window when he heard the sound of the traffic accident 5 minutes later...
                But if he had warned them, could they have avoided the accident?

If it were possible, would others have access to this information? Imagine trying to get a mortgage, or a loan, and having to attach the result as proof you weren't about to die. You might not be able to go wild and enjoy yourself up to the last minute as banks and credit card companies wouldn't risk letting you have access to money.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

If it were possible, would others have access to this information? Imagine trying to get a mortgage, or a loan, and having to attach the result as proof you weren't about to die. You might not be able to go wild and enjoy yourself up to the last minute as banks and credit card companies wouldn't risk letting you have access to money.
                  You could pre-sell your organs?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Final Destination style? Death will be out to get them!
                    Join IPSE

Comment

Working...
                    X