• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pull a sickie on day 2 - have you ever?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pull a sickie on day 2 - have you ever?

New contractor turns up on client site Monday, emails in 'sick' on Tuesday and again on Wednesday siting a bad cold. Anyone heard of this sort of behavior before? Even permies don't call in sick on second day. What's going on?

I had to call in sick on a first day once, fairly embarrassing.

I would say if he is sick on the second day he is not coming back.

Comment

I can remember a permie missing 2 days "sick" in his first week, and on the days he was there he'd turn up at 10:30 and spend half the day on the phone. When he was sick again in the second week, he was fired. Strangely he was well enough to drive in and pick up his stuff from the office.

Hard to believe there are people that live like this.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

If you're ill you're ill, you can't help the timing.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Happened to me at my last contract. Was benched and waiting for confirmation of start date. Got ill, then got the phone call to start. I delayed them two days because I was proper . They were ok about it all though.

Comment

Funnily enough, Im ALWAYS sick when I sign a new contract, guaranteed that the first week on client site I'll have a dodgy stomach or cold or something.

I've once had to delay starting by a week, but I had salmonella so I think thats acceptable (the client was still annoyed though, but was happy by the end of my stint)

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
              What's going on?
              He's sick and its not like you are paying him is it? Though it might be as others have hinted that your co is so tulip that one day was enough for him to realise he cant stand it and saying he's sick is just a diplomatic way out.

Comment

I interviewed for a €600 euro a day gig, got taken seriously ill, and got the call to say i'd got the job the day after I came out of hospital. Sadly had to turn it down due to ongoing doctors appointments and stuff.

Bloody annoying that was.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Is this a Suity thread?
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

He's got another contract
                    He is genuinely ill

Had to delay a start due to illness once and have had a couple of days off on contracts (but no work - no money is a powerful motivator).
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                    X