PDA

View Full Version : Pimp wants to be my LinkedIn buddy

Macavity
21st November 2012, 13:20
This happens all the time. I just say yeah on the phone then ignore the email when it comes.

Is there any harm to accepting these? Is there any benefit? Surely as a paid member they can all read my profile anyway.

BrilloPad
21st November 2012, 13:26
I reckon it does no harm. But say no to facebook!

Best thing about linkedin is linking to my manager at work - then updating my status to job hunting!

aa2006
21st November 2012, 13:31
This happens all the time. I just say yeah on the phone then ignore the email when it comes.

Is there any harm to accepting these? Is there any benefit? Surely as a paid member they can all read my profile anyway.

I always ignore them, In the past I have had an agent contact one of my linkedln connected managers, a fellow contractor, to fill the position which I had just left

speling bee
21st November 2012, 13:34
I have always accepted this from pimps I have done business with. Then last week I received this:

Just seen your update on Linked In. Could you not have contacted me about ClientCo [worked at 2 years ago via this agent] bearing in mind our past and the contact I made with you below and that you knew I worked with them still?

Just thought it would have been the decent thing to do.

Good Luck anyway !

And after I politely explain the circumstances, do I get an apology? No, further questions about why he might not have been given the business re Clientco.

Scoobos
21st November 2012, 14:23
I find that a lot of my clients prefer me NOT to have agents added.

If I find an agent that I think is "different" from the norm, I usually have no problems adding them.

I've contracted at some really wellknown companies and in the very early days of Linked In, I did get a lot of complaints from an old hiring manager that they were being swamped.

Whilst I take that approach, I do have a friend whos totally open on linked in and he swears by it; his belief is that there's no point adding old clients that you've already worked with; you want new opportunities.

SimonMac
21st November 2012, 14:25
I always accept, can do no harm, but I make sure my contact list is hidden so they can't see who else I am connected to directly.

alreadypacked
21st November 2012, 14:49
I always accept, can do no harm, but I make sure my contact list is hidden so they can't see who else I am connected to directly.

+1

minestrone
21st November 2012, 15:00
I ignore them all.

norrahe
21st November 2012, 18:01
Link to agents and block my contacts!

Saves me having to e-mail them all when looking for work I just update my status.

cailin maith
21st November 2012, 19:35

I didn't know you could do that.

mudskipper
21st November 2012, 19:41
I never link to agents.

But I did link to a guy who worked in the call centre at ex-clientCo that I sold some gig tickets to.

He left and became a recruitment agent. :suicide:

MaryPoppins
21st November 2012, 20:56

How do I do that?

SimonMac
21st November 2012, 21:06
How do I do that?

https://www.linkedin.com/settings/?modal=nsettings-connection-visibility

Its an all or nothing setting though