• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Linux admin tasks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux admin tasks

Can anyone who is into Linux stuff please post here which most commonly used tools are the most annoying to configure and could benefit from nice GUI to do the job - it should be simple to implement too, say cron, Apache is certainly common but also complex. Anything as easy (yet used fairly often) as cron? This is for SKA but not mine.

Originally posted by AtW
    Can anyone who is into Linux stuff please post here which most commonly used tools are the most annoying to configure and could benefit from nice GUI to do the job - it should be simple to implement too, say cron, Apache is certainly common but also complex. Anything as easy (yet used fairly often) as cron? This is for SKA but not mine.
    ??? What distro/version of Linux are you talking about? RedHat/Fedora/Suse/Mandrake they all have excellent gui tools.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Can those tools manage multiple servers?

Comment

I use subversion repositories to manage distributed configuration. I ssh to target machines to check out configuration changes over the network and restart the services.

No GUI tools are needed. No GUI tools SHOULD be needed.

Bastards to configure:

dhcpd
        bind
        apache
        sendmail
        lvm / evms
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

GUIs are nice if you're new to Linux, but once you've been using it you start to use the command line...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Yes indeed.

Ironically it's my 10th anniversary as a Linux user today!

Comment

I personally find apache's configuration files are really quite nice and simple once you get used to them, I think you'd have a hard time convincing any apache user who has got a bit of experiance with them to use a GUI version.

(Anyway isn't IBM Websphere just Apache with a fancy GUI???)

Comment

They are nice and easy until you start doing mass virtual hosting. Then they can become a real pain in the arse. Not only that, but managing multiple levels of AllowOverride on a hosting server per site and not pissing off the users because their htaccess doesn't work is haaaaard.

Apparently IIS7 is going to have a .htaccess style mechanism!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco

(Anyway isn't IBM Websphere just Apache with a fancy GUI???)
                  No
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Yeah it is completely bastardised with JavaCruft (tm).

What's wrong with mod_python - far more productive!

Comment

Working...
                    X